Seth Tobias RIP

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by thurstonhowell3, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Doug Kass said on a real money blog that he had been in an accident yesterday in Palm Beach. He was Kass' partner for a while.

#11     Sep 4, 2007
  2. pbj

pbj

#12     Sep 4, 2007
  3. cstfx

cstfx

Can you (or anyone with access) post the relevant parts of the article?

#13     Sep 4, 2007
  4. I thought he lived in Lower Merion. Wow, what a shame... [If a heart attack] So many lives could be saved if this demographic would get a doppler and take some statins.

#14     Sep 4, 2007
  5. AC3

AC3

If this story is real then this is a bit strange... Quoted in the WSJ yesty

Investors Hope
    This September
    Isn't Forgettable
    Month's Bad History
    Adds to Trading Unrest;
    Waiting for a Rate Cut
    By JUSTIN LAHART and PETER A. MCKAY
    September 4, 2007; Page C1

Many Wall Streeters head back from their Labor Day break hoping the financial market pains of July and August will be over.

Bankers have a mountain of low-grade debt to sell in the next few months. Investors have a long list of stocks and bonds to pick through that are much less expensive than they were a few months ago. Yet the setting is fraught with uncertainty. If the market is going to get back on its feet -- hardly a sure thing -- some tricky questions are going to need to be resolved soon.

Will the Federal Reserve cut short-term interest rates, something that seemed unlikely just a few months ago? How will homeowners respond to tightening mortgage credit? Are any more bombs ticking on the balance sheets of hedge funds or banks? Will investors buy the billions of dollars of buyout-related bonds and loans about to come to the market?
    [chart]

That could help decide whether history repeats itself and September follows its traditional pattern of being a down month for stocks.

"People are tired and they're going to reassess what kind of exposure they want," says Seth Tobias of hedge fund Circle T Partners in New York. "I think you're going to see a reduction in risk profiles."

#15     Sep 5, 2007
  6. I see that Gladwyne is an unincorporated town within Merion township.

#16     Sep 5, 2007
  7. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Whats "strange" about it? People have accidents all the time and its obviously not widely circulated news yet, but a number of people who know him (including Cramer) have made public mention of it, so I dont see how you could delude yourself into thinking its not true. We all have our day. In any case, I'm sorry it happened to him and wish his family the best (not that it matters much since I might as well be the man on the dark side of the moon to them)

Brandon

#17     Sep 5, 2007

8. yes, within lower merion township. there is an upper merion township also--different demographic. he has recently constructed a large home in Gladwyne.

surf

#18     Sep 5, 2007
  9. AC3

AC3

Not "Deluding" myself in any way just pointing out how strange/ironic it is that the day he's qouted in the WSJ he has a life ending accident ... relax

#19     Sep 5, 2007
  10. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Ok, I over reacted and you have my apology. That is indeed one of life's ironies. I guess I just figured you where part of the "record that guys IP address" crowd.

#20     Sep 5, 2007