Set extensions?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Aug 9, 2018.

1. I tried this last night for chest and triceps.
    1- Holy shit
    2- 15 seconds goes by very very quickly when your muscles are burning and you’re trying to fill your lungs.
    3- I gave myself some extra time on a few different exercises. Being it was my first time I erred on the side of caution so I didn’t injure anything. Getting older and wiser lol.
    4- looking forward to doing it today with different muscle groups!

#41     Sep 15, 2018
  2. You sound like you know what you're talking about. I'll take your word for it. :)

#42     Sep 15, 2018
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  3. If you go fully and completely all out on each set and drop set, I'd be curious to know if it has a cumulative overtraining effect over time. I'm not saying it will, but I'd be curious to know for comparative purposes. Please keep us posted.

#43     Sep 15, 2018
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  4. Definitely will

#44     Sep 15, 2018
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  5. I did something similar this morning while benching.
    Bench 8 reps, wait 15 seconds and do 10 perfect form push-ups, wait 15 seconds and bench again 8 reps.
    Wait 30 seconds and do 10 more push ups, wait 30 seconds and bench again. Down to 6 reps.
    Wait one minute, do 10 more push ups, wait one minute, bench again 4 good reps.
    Very difficult and I'll say the pump was fantastic. Struck a pose in the mirror when I got home and looked marvelous. Well, marvelous for me.
    One caveat, I was benching with a Smith Machine as I did not have a spotter, and didn't want to fail and crash, which seems much more probable trying this method.

#45     Sep 16, 2018
  6. Going to try this as I have been pressed for time lately and can hit the dumbbells...

#46     Sep 16, 2018
  7. What level of intensity did you do (i.e., failure, repetition maximum, etc.)?

#47     Sep 17, 2018
  8. Push ups were not to failure, just what I felt I could repeat for all sets. Not having done this before it was kind of an experiment. I probably could have started with 20 push ups and then see what happens.
    Bench was to failure of good reps each time which is why I used a Smith machine.

#48     Sep 17, 2018
  9. OK. I'm about 3 weeks in on the "Baron speed workout" (trademarked) :D

I have to say, it is a great change of pace workout or if you are pressed for time and want to get a good burn.
    I'm still on the fence if you can grow with this type of workout. You can definitely maintain, but if you are a seasoned trainer, I'm not sure if you lift heavy enough to bulk.

Maybe Baron can add something to this, as 3 weeks isn't enough time for me to make a proper judgement.

Overall though I love the workout :thumbsup:

#49     Oct 2, 2018
    Baron likes this.
  10. Just to get a better understanding of your workout, could you please answer these questions:

1. How many sets do you do per workout, excluding the drop sets?
    2. How many drop sets do you do for each exercise?
    3. How many times a week do you work out?
    4. Do you do a split routine or a whole body routine?
    5. Do you take each set, including the drop sets, to failure?

#50     Oct 2, 2018