Set extensions?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Aug 9, 2018.

1. I don't think you took the thread off-topic, and I hope Baron and others chime in.

Struggling with the last few reps shouldn't really make the set more risky. Using a heavier weight than you are capable of handling and/or using "Body English" and/or momentum rather than strict form is what gets you in trouble.

#21     Aug 10, 2018
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The main problem with HIT workouts is that you really need a spotter or trainer to guide you through the workout because it's hard to generate the necessary intensity on your own.

#22     Aug 10, 2018
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I agree. When I was trained by Ellington Darden in HIT workouts, we used lighter weights than normal, not heavier. That is offset by the fact that you are going to negative failure in addition to positive failure which makes you want to throw up after a single set.

#23     Aug 10, 2018
  4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

So yesterday I applied the workout style above to the following exercises:

1. Hamstring Curls
    2. Leg Extensions
    3. Single Leg Standing Calf Raises
    4. Leg Press
    5. Bodyweight Dips
    6. Underhanded Close Grip Lat Pulldowns
    7. Side Lateral Raises
    8. Front Lateral Raises
    9. Dumbbell Bench Presses
    10. Wide Grip Seated Rows
    It was a hard workout and I had a good pump by the end.

#24     Aug 10, 2018
  5. I think you'll agree, though, that a downside of engaging in too much inroading too often can potentially make it too much from which to recover. Recovery ability varies, so people will have to determine through experimentation how much of such intensity enhancement they can tolerate and how often. For example, if they start getting weaker, then they haven't yet fully recovered from the last workout. So either the last workout was too recent or too intense.

#25     Aug 10, 2018
  6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

For the intensity of my own workouts, it seems like I can handle a full-body workout with 10 exercises and 1 good all-out set per exercise about once every other day. Sometimes I may need an extra day of rest, but for the most part EOD weight training seems to be the sweet spot for me.

#26     Aug 10, 2018
  7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

This guy looks great not just because his shoulders are good, but because his waste is so freakin' small, so his shoulder to waste width ratio is insane. And having zero bodyfat helps too. I'm jealous! :D

#27     Aug 10, 2018
  8. True dat....i like the squared off top which I will not get like him but working my delts will make the shirts hang better :).

#28     Aug 10, 2018
  9. destriero

destriero

135 yet?

#29     Aug 10, 2018
  10. destriero

destriero

I thought this was a math thread...

#30     Aug 10, 2018