Set extensions?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Does anyone here do any form of set extensions beyond the point of simple concentric failure, either regularly or from time to time? These can include drop sets, forced reps, rest-pause or whatever.

Just curious.

2. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by set extensions. I do, on occasion, do an isometric set after failure with normal reps.

3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Funny you mentioned that because I was going to crank it up a notch today with one of the techniques I enjoy using the most.

The theory behind what I'm going to explain is simple. The only reps that matter in a set are the last ones you struggle with. That's where the growth comes from.

So instead of doing 3 traditional sets of dumbbell bicep curls, what you do is a single standard set of 8 -12 reps with a weight that you would struggle with on the last couple reps. Then after that set, sit the dumbbells down and wait 10 - 15 seconds, which goes really fast. Then pick the dumbells back up and do another set, which may only be half to a third as many reps as you just did. And after that's over, repeat that process once more. On that third set, you may only be able to grind a couple of reps, but you'll feel the burn like crazy and will feel like you really created a deeper level of muscle breakdown, and you did it in literally one fifth of the time it would have taken to do 3 traditional sets with longer rest periods between each set.

This same technique can be used with every exercise.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  4. It's when you go past the point of momentary muscular failure by whatever means. I suppose your isometric set would qualify, although it is not one I have ever done.

5. Interesting coincidence. Just yesterday, I did drop sets (or their equivalent) for each of my 5 upper body exercises. That's not quite the same as what you do, because you don't decrease the weight. So when doing pull-ups, I would go to absolute positive failure, drop the weight, take 3 or 4 deep breaths and do another set to failure, finishing with a slow negative. I found that doing this for all of my exercises was a bit much, because I really go to the limit. In time, I imagine I would find myself overtraining. And so, going forward, I decided to only do drop sets for pull-ups and dips, but I will do 2 iterations for each. For the other 3 upper body exercises I will continue to just go to true positive static failure and finish with a very slow negative. That will probably be all I can muster at limit intensity over time. As it is, I rarely if ever see anyone go as hard at my gym even without the drop sets. And hey, man, I just turned 60. Gotta pace myself.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Clubber Lang and Baron like this.
  6. I have done drop sets at times, especially on dumbbell work. I like the last pump feeling I get on the muscle, especially on curls.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  7. I do the try to move the unmovable version of isometrics as explained in this video. I have not been doing enough of this to show any real muscle growth, but I can say that I do belive it has helped improve strength.

8. I've never been keen on isometrics although I've read that they can be useful. For what it's worth, I suppose I do a bit of incidental isometrics at the end of a set when I continue pushing (or pulling) for a few brief seconds when I can't move the weight any further.

9. I hate curls. Almost as much as I hate laterals. You can have mine since I don't do either anymore. :D

10. Really??

Curls for the Girls baby...

Love the bicep peak tweak I get. Hate curling with a bar though, only dumbbells.
    I need laterals as my middle delts lagging my front delts from all those presses.

#10     Aug 9, 2018