"Service Sector" for the most part = Euphenism for Shit Jobs

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ByLoSellHi, Jun 5, 2007.

1. I think that ByLoSellHi was making an observation. An observation need not necessarily be accompanied by a solution. However, now that you ask, outsourcing jobs does not appear to be the solution. And while free enterprise should essentially remain free, perhaps tax incentives that support companies which outsource important jobs are also not the solution. And yet, as I understand it, companies that outsource high-paying jobs receive all manner of incentives. At least that was the case a while back. Is it any different today? I don't know. I'm asking.

ByLoSellHi, it it true that the Bush Administration actually tried to reclassify fast food workers as part of the manufacturing sector? I vaguely recall some furor about reclassification, but I don't recall the specifics. If it is indeed as you describe it, then it is rather telling. Why would the Administration seek to reclassify something "downward" if growth in the service sector aggregate over the manufacturing sector was a indeed a good thing?

#11     Jun 5, 2007
  2. Another excellent point that I was remiss to leave out. Thanks for reminding me, TD.

If you don't believe TD, yes, the U.S. government has provided MASSIVE tax incentives for companies to outsource jobs. Here's a stellar example: Stanley Tool Works.

Google 'outsourcing' and 'Stanley Tool Works' for just one example of how our government is not only not trying to prevent the offshoring of high wage jobs, but is encouraging and accelerating the trend, subsidized with your tax dollars.

#12     Jun 5, 2007
  3. I find it freakin' hilarious when liberals attack outsourcing.

Other citizens of the world should be denied entry level jobs on the tech express? In my mind it's the PURPOSE of free markets to distribute wages to the cheap and willing. Too many lib's are true economic apartheid types.

America is a net WINNER on the outsourcing front.

This past weekend I replaced my cable modem. An easy swap except for issues with my router.

Lo and behold Linksys in India. A nice guy in New Delhi got me hooked up pronto. Now given that my router cost something like $49.95 could Cisco remain in business if some tech guy in California took my call?

And don't even go there if your going to say "Tashiba in Detroit could be trained to work these jobs".

#13     Jun 5, 2007
  4. Pabst,

If you read my earlier post, you will see that I believe that free enterprise should essentially remain free.

A company that seeks to outsource a high-paying job at the expense of a US worker to another country in order to save money should probably have the right to do so. However, given that the company is already going to be saving on labor costs, does it also need the various tax incentives of one form or another. A company's obligation is primarily to its shareholders, provided that it does not engage in illegal activity. Fine. But what is the justification for the government to provide tax incentives to companies that are appropriately looking after their own interests but at the expense of the general domestic economy? Why do the outsourcers have to have it both ways? Talk about entitlement!

#14     Jun 5, 2007
  5. MGJ

MGJ

Here's a service sector job that pays relatively well; note the expression "hypercompetitive battle". http://tinyurl.com/3xtpm3

Dated June 1st, 2007.

#15     Jun 5, 2007
    #16     Jun 5, 2007
  7. I agree completely. The govt is more interested in representing the agendas of corporations than the general population.

#17     Jun 5, 2007
  8. Well I certainly agree. "Special interests" tax wise are completely against my laissez faire philosophy.

Also, in no way was busting YOUR balls, I just happened to quote your post as a frame of reference for my soap box grandstand....

As always, I enjoy your well expressed opinions.

#18     Jun 5, 2007
  9. clacy

clacy

---------

Well said Pabst. We are in an age where information is king. The game is changing, but in the end the the free markets always benefit the most. I think we will see other countries close the wealth gap with us over the next 100 year and that is inevitable.

With that said, our standard of living will continue to rise, even though it won't rise as fast as 3rd world countries.

Along with that our poor will continue to reap the benefits of better technology, health care, transporation, communication, etc.

#19     Jun 5, 2007
  10. Agree those are the **** jobs in existence.

#20     Jun 5, 2007