Servers Anyone?...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by canyonman00, Mar 11, 2006.

1. I can run them either way. But when at home, they don't bother me as they sit inside their server cabinets (insulated somewhat) which greatly baffles the sound. The room was also set up with this purpose in mind so there is sound absorbing materials on the walls.

I have not heard the fans in so long though as the music server runs 24/7. And when we're gaming...well... :)

#21     Mar 14, 2006
  2. duard

duard

Canyonman00,

You sold me. You're so right about bang for the buck.

Next question is how difficult is it to set-up windows server 03 to run a trading platform?

What manual or book would you recommend for the non-techie to set-up a trading server platform.

Or can I just hire you and you can be my consultant?

THANKS!!!

#22     Mar 18, 2006
  3. :D Setting up Server 2003 is actually a piece of cake. If you get a server with multiple hot swap drives you can configure them in a raid array that gives you a ton of abilities. As an example, on one of my ten drive machines I have set up two 36 gig drives (mirrored) for the OS and programs and eight drives for data. On another I have the mirrored drives for OS and the eight other drives are broken into two separate storage areas (main and mirror).

You wouldn't need to have any special reading for this. A few choice questions as you set up and you can be under way in no time. It truly isn't that difficult. It still is the Windows environment.

You can even experiment for free. You can sign up for Microsoft to send you out a "free" evaluation copy of Server 2003 (Enterprise Edition) which is fully functional for 180 days. This is plenty of time for you to evaluate and train on the functions of the software.

And yes, I am available for hire and consulting. I live in Chicago and Dallas and I travel nationally for my job (self-employed tech). I will be heading down to Austin to the main Dell facility for some certification updates and training in the next few weeks but I can work around this if needed. :)

#23     Mar 19, 2006