Servers Anyone?...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by canyonman00, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Anybody daisy-chain?

(1) + (1) +(1)

+ = Mandrake

#11     Mar 11, 2006
  2. Well, eBay sort of makes this a difficult call. I have seen some of the top end machines of a few years back recently go for under $1,500. And I'm talking 2.0 to 2.5 GHz multi-processor machines. They can easily provide the output that traders want with redundancy covered at every level.

I have SCSI hard drive reliability and 10k speeds (you can get 15k if you can live with the smaller drives up to 73 gig). I can even take the total drive size up to 1460 gig's internally if I choose. The processors can be upgraded to 3.0GHz also. Couple this with massive amounts of RAM (my 4600 can handle up to 24 gig's) and well, go figure.

I got this one for $1,800, plus $140 delivery. I can't definitely remember, but I believe I only added two drives to it for about $300. :)

#12     Mar 11, 2006
  3. I am guessing you mean that odd Linux flavor. When I first got these machines I played with Scyld Beowulf and looked at doing some interesting stuff for a time. I also played around with Netware (5.1) and BEOS. Too much to do with little compatibility for my needs.

As various flavors of windows servers, I have not had a crash in over a year on the 2003 machines, and over two years with the 2000 unit. :)

#13     Mar 11, 2006
  4. I understand now! Okay, when you had said one machine cost $200 a couple posts ago, I thought it was a typo.

I guess it might be time to go onto eBay and look around for some good deals. Very cool - thanks for pointing that out!

For me personally, I would still prefer to have two+ machines. MORE importantly, is having more than one internet connection.

#14     Mar 11, 2006
  5. Each machine had dual internet capability with multiple ethernet cards (the 4600 is a 10/100/1000). I replaced one of the cards with the wireless setup and I still have redundant connections if I choose. :)

#15     Mar 11, 2006
  6. I can't match that record...wish I could.

I used Mandrake as a means to an end for connecting three identical machines(w/graphics cards) together for a rendering farm (video/photo editing) Electronic prepress/preflighting

I wasn't able to achieve this with a standard Mac/Windows OS

Due to time constrainments, lack of funds and/or intelligence I settled on this arrangment.

Of coarse it evolved into CAD, web des/dev, gaming :D and now it's been reduced to pattern recognition and quant sprays due to the age of the system (16 months is old). Sounds like a Douglas DC-3 with all the fans.

I'll draft and build a new frankenputer this summer on holiday.

overclocking ain't dead yet:cool:

#16     Mar 11, 2006
  7. #17     Mar 14, 2006
  8. Man - you are killing me! 10 SCSI drives - that is so sweeet. How can they sell that for $1200??? Of course the shipping by itself could be expensive...

#18     Mar 14, 2006
  9. Just curious, do you run these servers locally or remotely? I could never put with the noise that the fans and drives make.

#19     Mar 14, 2006
  10. It's a three hour drive from my Chicago residence. But shipping is only $165. :)

#20     Mar 14, 2006