Server vs PC for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IndexTrader, Feb 6, 2004.

1. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Or more probably he is working around some type of problem with the vendors design. Another possibility: this is a first iteration of the design. If you are working with system designed for your own - or company - use and its not for resale its OK to get a prototype working and optimize it or re-design it later if it initially meets your needs and makes you money.

FYI some of the stuff put forth by the major vendors - I wont name names - is at best of average quality and in many cases they represent poor designs. If you need to interface to their poorly thought out interfaces and systems then you often have no choice but to go with a non-optimal design.

#21     Feb 10, 2004
  2. nitro

nitro

I was comparing Windows 2003 Workstation vs Windows 2003 Sever.

You do not need a sever OS to run trading sofware that most people use.

nitro

#22     Feb 10, 2004
  3. nitro

nitro

You have it pretty accurately.

nitro

#23     Feb 10, 2004
  4. nitro

nitro

I see your design, and I have considered it.

Part of the problem is I need a more accurate tool than Task Manager. TM is telling me that I have about 40 threads right now. However, I believe that what it is reporting is the number of handles to threads, not necessarily the number of executing threads that are in the schedule queue. Many of those threads have been returned to the threadpool and are idle. That is a big difference.

FWIW, my application SMOKES. I am just trying to eek every last ounce of juice I can from my machine.

nitro

#24     Feb 10, 2004
  5. There is NO product from MS such as Windows2003 Workstation.
    You must misunderstand looking at the link I posted.
    That logo 'Windows2003 Workstation' must have been made by the guy using Photoshop etc.

Currently, there is no desktop/workstation version of NT5.2.
    Hense, WindowsServer2003 is the only one for the latest good kernel. The reputation of the OS is so high.
    Simply, it's very stable and ideal to use for trading platform, and I do need to run my trading application on the Server OS.

#25     Feb 10, 2004
  6. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

The differences between windows 2000 and windows 2003 servers is really not worth talking about: there are just minor improvements.

#26     Feb 10, 2004
  7. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

www.systeminternals.com and more importantly, you need to instrument your application: these can be retrofitted. Use your own perf. counters to monitor the state of your app ...... Every server app we build is required to consider in advance which metrics need to be instrumented.

#27     Feb 10, 2004
  8. nitro

nitro

Ah!

I did not know that! I have also not done any testing or seen any tests of 2003 Server vs 2000 Server. Do you have a link that shows the speed improvements?

nitro

#28     Feb 10, 2004
  9. nitro

nitro

Thanks for the link!

Very very interesting.

nitro

#29     Feb 10, 2004