Server or Local Based

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BuySellSideTrader2020, Nov 20, 2018.

1. d08

d08

That's true for 2008, not true for 2018.

Modern cards newer than GTX960 have dual fans but the fans don't spin in 2D applications. Even if they spin, they're close to silent. They don't run hot either, many mid-range models are close to CPU temps. I'm saying this while living in a tropical and humid climate.

#21     Nov 22, 2018
  2. ZBZB

ZBZB

You can use the integrated graphics on the processor for two monitors now but you still need a quad NVS if you want to do four screens efficiently.

#22     Nov 22, 2018
  3. ZBZB

ZBZB

If you buy the right motherboard the integrated graphics on the processor will support three monitors negating the need for a dual graphics card.

#23     Nov 22, 2018
  4. if I'm running a dual monitor setup I believe 16GB should be plenty but it's expandable RAM, GPU wise the 1060 should be fine....

#24     Nov 22, 2018
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

I always giggle a little when people think they need fancy hardware to trade from home

#25     Nov 25, 2018
  6. d08

d08

Are you trying to say I don't need three 49" curved screens to make a profit???

#26     Nov 25, 2018
  7. I bought a computer I have 2 27" monitors I plan on buying and might add in a 3rd and possibly a 4th in a stacked configuration. Any suggestions on the stand?

#27     Nov 26, 2018
  8. Polygon.io

Polygon.io Sponsor

The proximity is one advantage

Consider:
    - Datacenters have much more reliable internet and power.
    - A dedicated server will be a little more reliable with ECC memory, dual power supplies and RAID disks.

However:
    - If you're just using the server for proxying/RDP'ing, then latency will be higher since there is now an extra hop along the way to where you're end location is. Not to mention the overhead of RDP/video protocol.

#28     Jan 1, 2019
    BuySellSideTrader2020 and d08 like this.