Server or Local Based

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BuySellSideTrader2020, Nov 20, 2018.

1. d08

d08

Are you building a PC for Call of Duty or for trading and business?
    In the latter case, it's irrelevant.

From your home it's PC -> broker -> exchange, most direct. Just going with cloud computing and doing it manually is PC -> cloud -> broker -> exchange, the extra step is there.
    Remember there is latency between you and the cloud.

Colocation is for automated trading where you probably don't have a broker but route your orders directly to exchange, so it's literally across the road servers -> exchange.

Colocation and manual trading is like having a Ferrari in a traffic jam.

#11     Nov 21, 2018
  2. For trading purposes, I would be running either 2 screens or one large screen with 3-5 price ladders, 3-5 charts, and 3-5 TnS (maybe more since they're aggregated by size).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2018
    #12     Nov 21, 2018
  3. qlai

qlai

I m not sure what you mean by cloud. So below is set up I had in mind:
    Home PC - RDP - Colo running GUI Platform - broker (same/near Colo).
    Vs.
    Home PC running GUI Platform - broker.

My assumption is that RDP is faster to update your screen than for all the market data to arrive to your home PC. Same for your key strokes, they will arrive faster than your platform's order request. I'm assuming the broker's server has logic to pace data to platform when it detects congestion. So I think it will be more reliable and will reduce jitter. Crazy?

#13     Nov 21, 2018
  4. d08

d08

Any modern GPU can render millions of polygons per second. So, ten 2-dimensional charts or ladders are utilizing something like 0.01% of its power. That is, even if they are 3D accelerated, my guess is not. So it'll rest on the CPU anyway.

Cloud, colocation, VPS, call it what you will, effectively these are the same things.
    RDP would be slower most likely. NT or whatever platform you use gets the data in an efficient format, probably JSON or CSV or something like that. That consumes much less bandwidth than interpreting, compressing and delivering visual data.
    I don't see how any keystrokes can be faster, they'd be slower almost certainly. But you could test it out and measure it.

#14     Nov 21, 2018
  5. So then going with the GTX 1060 3GB shouldn’t have any issues running the charts and price ladders?

#15     Nov 22, 2018
  6. Calculate the cost of this machine. Then put half of the cost in your trading account. Use the remaining half as budget for your trading computer.
    In other words: this machine is overspecced for its purpose. Trading might seem like a game to you, but you don't need a gaming computer for trading.

#16     Nov 22, 2018
    d08 likes this.
  7. qlai

qlai

I see some people have six(or more) monitors with hundreds of charts. Don't you think that kind of set up needs a gaming PC?

#17     Nov 22, 2018
    BuySellSideTrader2020 likes this.
  8. No I don't. Not enough "changing pixels per second". The largest portion of those images are static (i.e. don't change).

#18     Nov 22, 2018
    d08 likes this.
  9. d08

d08

I'm quite certain you could be using an Intel integrated GPU for any number of charts. It's really about CPU and RAM in this use case. Now, attaching that many monitors with an integrated GPU is another thing.

#19     Nov 22, 2018
  10. ZBZB

ZBZB

Traders use 2d Nvidia NVS cards that are fanless. You do not need a 3d card as they are overkill and run hot so need a noisy fan to cool. Fanless nvidia nvs 295 dual cards can be had on ebay for $10-40. A fanless quad NVS 440 is $25-$100. They do an octa (8) head as well.

#20     Nov 22, 2018