Seriously thinking turning Fulltime trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by innovest_11, Feb 12, 2008.

1. U mean part time day job and part time stock trading? This is what i'm doing now, meaning day job and night do stock trading, but i feel like quiting day job totally, and focus on trading, and also find a part time easy day job and not fulltime stressful day job

#81     Oct 21, 2008
  2. work, save a year of income + trading capital, then go for it, nothing stoping you, try trading over your vacation to see if it's the job for you.

#82     Oct 21, 2008
  3. I work afternoons and some weekends now, which keeps my mornings and early afternoon free for trading.

Unfortunately although my hourly rate is high, I work few hours a week, so I'm on subsistence levels right now. I'm still working on finding a successful trading method, but with this setup I have as much time as I want.

#83     Oct 22, 2008
  4. Very difficult to find part time job which pays good, and also part time job not many available. Also this will be a distant away from my current salary, so got lots of objection from spouse, wat to do now

#84     Oct 22, 2008
  5. loza

loza Guest

I do not care what kind of a genius you think you are, now with the economy you might be laid off or downsized sooner or later, only a complete moron would quit a job out of boredom. Just my 2 cents.

#85     Oct 22, 2008
  6. This may seem mean, but
    Past Performance doesn't predict future results.
    Extreme volatility won't last forever, this market has been a trader's dream.
    Congrats on the profits, and the kids, keep it up...
    BUT DONT QUIT your day job!!
    There are too many unknowns at this point. Maybe that 100K will be worth 30K, maybe someone will push the button, maybe an illness or worse will occur which you couldn't have predicted.
    Kids and Job = STRESS. I had three and one and have only allowed myself to gamble (instead of holding US govt paper) since the brats... I mean kids... lol... have grown.
    Now I have it made and can sleep all I want AND trade, AND work my dayjob, without getting sick or tired or bored.
    I work 32-40 hrs a week... but get home just as the market begins to pick up... and have the last few hours to trade...
    OR NOT...
    And that's the problem. If you HAVE to trade, you will be more likely to lose. Scared money.
    I'll quit my job when I have enough passive income to quit trading.
    JMO.

#86     Oct 22, 2008
  7. This is free advice, but as one of the few feminine posters I can understand your wife.
    I stayed home with my three until they were in school.
    That time has payed off in riches that are
    PRICELESS.
    Don't miss out on ANY time with your kids.
    Read to them, alot, take them to the park...
    Talk to them and laugh with them and be thankful.
    Teach your children well!
    scurries away....

#87     Oct 22, 2008
  8. right, points taken :D

#88     Oct 22, 2008
  9. Given the extremely few people who make a good living trading from home, you eventually would likely find that quitting your job and trying to trade fulltime would be one of the truly stupid things you did in life

If you are not making good money (which is the 99% likelihood), you will find looking back that your trading stress really makes you miss the job.

#89     Oct 22, 2008
  10. Keep the job, stick to half-time trading. Over time, you will discover how to earn more from half-time trading than from ten jobs. THEN quit. Patience is part of this deal, learn it or you will fuck yourself over.

It would be different if you were a single 18-year old kid renting an apartment.

#90     Oct 22, 2008