Seriously thinking turning Fulltime trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by innovest_11, Feb 12, 2008.

1. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONLY, I say, ONLY trade "automated" when you are actually FULLTIME trading and can watch your system at all times. We get what we focus on in life, and trying to do two things at the same time is a non optimal level of focus for your trading.

I trade two systems which are FULLY automated and I watch them at all times when they are in trades. If you are fully "automated" with a system that actually works you wont need a regular job!!!

#31     Feb 13, 2008
  2. imo, the minimum amount of cash one should have (note" MY OPINION only) to trade fulltime is 500k.

that's liquid trading capital, not reserves, savings, investments, etc. those are not counted in the 500k total.

#32     Feb 13, 2008
  3. Shagi

Shagi

$500K - wow why do you need all that money to trade full time?

With $500k start up - better to sit on the beach and enjoy thhe interest risk free in bank :cool: enjoy the sun

#33     Feb 13, 2008
  4. neke

neke

How much does that assume you are taking out each month for living expenses? 50k?

#34     Feb 13, 2008

5. Wow, 500k?

I guess I was a complete idiot, entering the world of daytrading with $26k.

Actually, everyone that knew about this thought I was a complete idiot! But I didn't care because I knew I could do it.

Now, they are not laughing at me any more. :D

#35     Feb 13, 2008
  6. weitau

weitau

this is excellent advice! I felt pressured because I lost some $, so I doubled up. You know what happens then... The less you feel pressured to make $ to support the family, the better. You end up taking small profits when they are offered to you, but not small losses - only big ones. yes, we've all been there.

#36     Feb 13, 2008
  7. Just when i thought i'm becoming consistent, becoming more confident, i got slaughtered by BIDU today, it's hell of volatility, but i think the main lesson is not to get too confident, it can cause u a bomb, don't try to get back the money u lost to the stock, it will only cost u more...

So i had better stick to my job and add more spice to it :cool:

#37     Feb 14, 2008
  8. efutures

efutures

Talk it over with your family. Don't be afraid to ask for their opinion. Then if you all agree to stay with the same job, trade for fun.

#38     Feb 14, 2008
  9. But holding a 9 to 5 job and trading at night to 2 or 3 am really is killing me, getting sick at least once a month...cause living in different timezone but trading US market

Wat will you do if you in my situation?

#39     Feb 26, 2008
  10. To OP:

Quit your boring job, find a job you enjoy, and swing/position trade.

The bulk of swing trading is waiting and looking at charts, so there's no reason not to work another job.

#40     Feb 27, 2008