Serious Question

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Real Money, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Let's say I have an edge and it is as simple as applying a very clever algorithm to linear combinations of futures and stock index data feeds.

Let's say it's 60 lines of code. A script then generates a "signal" that gives you early warnings of reversals, tops, bottoms, trends and immediate volatility.

Using this and then comparing it to price action easily enables one to profit almost continuously during RTH.

Assume probability of profit > 85% and 10% on account equity daily is relatively easy to do with standard exchange margin.

What would you do with this thing?

1) Keep it a secret, trade the edge and run up your account XXX%, then repeat.
    2) Approach a prop firm?
    3) Trade it, make a track record and then approach a prop firm?
    4) Sell it to people?
    5) Something else?

What I have learned is that people won't believe this. Also, fake educators and snake oil salesmen peddling pitchforks, crossovers, and the rest have poisoned the well. It's almost like this sort of thing would have to be marketed with a website, videos, whatever. And even if I did all that, most people wouldn't even understand the concept, let alone the actual code and script, even though it would be obvious it worked.

I'm leaning toward doing (1) a lot and then maybe (3) later on.

I'm interested in your opinions. Maybe one of you even has a story about what you did with something similar.

Thanks.

2. ETJ

ETJ

Document your results ove a nonrandom time frame and go hunt down a backer.

BlueWaterSailor and fan27 like this.
  3. gaussian

gaussian

lol, it's because it's almost surely false. If you're too stupid to figure out what to do next, you're too stupid to have developed a better-than-renaissance-quant level algorithm - period. No exceptions.

metatrader54, tonyf and rb7 like this.
  4. "10% on account equity daily"

Trade your system for 2-3 months and retire rich.

5. Rentec plays with billions bro, never said my stuff can scale like that. In fact, Rentec would actively avoid the type of exposure the script is designed to tame.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  6. maxinger

maxinger

the answer will be very apparent when you wrote the script and your script

- is making tons of money for you
    or
    - is useless as is not making money for you at all.

7. Ha, gaussian huh. I studied all the masters Laplace, Gauss, Euler, Abel, Weierstrass, Weiner, Kolmolgorov, and more.

8. Actually, it's kind of obvious what to do. I'm looking for some variety of opinion. Surely, some of you have done something of this sort? Or am I wrong about that?

9. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Until you trade it with real money for at least a year, you have no idea how to make future decisions. Trade it and keep granular details of your trades that are verifiable.

BlueWaterSailor, MACD and wrbtrader like this.
  10. bbpp

bbpp

1.If you have such a edge, why you need other' money?
    2.The most important thing is not to expose you secret.

If your edge is for real and someone know it is real, it is worth someone hacking into your computer and you have no way to prevent this from happening.

#10     Aug 30, 2019