Serious question about automated quant trading for the person of average intelligence

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Kovacs, Dec 14, 2009.

1. byteme

byteme

Wonder if you read the OP's request before commenting?

He was referring to getting into the quant stuff that is discussed on the Wilmott forums. I gave him an apropriate answer.

I make no assertion about the merits of what he wants to achieve or the relevancy to his trading. That's for him to decide.

#11     Dec 15, 2009
  2. rwk

rwk

Could it be that the OP was asking the wrong serious question?

#12     Dec 15, 2009
  3. "The more you quant, the faster you flunk", intradaybill

#13     Dec 15, 2009
  4. lol...

#14     Dec 15, 2009
  5. byteme

byteme

Perhaps. Once the OP has learnt enough math to be able to decipher the notation and language used on the Wilmott forums, he/she may realize it's not what they were looking for.

Then again, it may be exactly what they were looking for. Perhaps the OP wants to automate some stat arb? The stochastic calculus probably isn't going to help there but the linear algebra just might.

Who knows?

#15     Dec 15, 2009
  6. Forget about math models.
    Remember LTCM?, complex models by four nobels meant blowup.
    (and they even owed big money)

#16     Dec 15, 2009
  7. The model didnt do them in.

#17     Dec 15, 2009
  8. From Joshi's list of recommended reading:

LOL. Btw, I have one of his books, it's very dry (forget the title at the moment).

#18     Dec 15, 2009
  9. #19     Dec 16, 2009
  10. Yes. First, figure out the problem(s) you're tackling, then go find the tools and skills you need for the solution. The OP is looking in the wrong end of the telescope by reading a pile of math books without any idea of their relevance to his subject domain. Not a fuel-efficient way to run your brain.

#20     Dec 16, 2009