Series 7

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by TheActionKid, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Prop trading, branch management, retail.....and, whoever you're working for will sponsor you.

Don

#31     Jul 27, 2006
  2. elephshoe

elephshoe

Hey---
    I am having trouble with this dreadful series 7 exam. Do any of you know where I may find a tutor?

Thanks!!
    -Chris

#32     Jul 29, 2006
  3. Studied 4 hours a day more or less and took the test after 2 months. Passed with a 76% I took the test I believe it was november 2005

#33     Jul 29, 2006
  4. -Bright trading
    -Echo trading
    -Andover or assent trading
    -Hold bros trading
    -Carlin rr generic trading
    -HLV trading
    -Swift Trading
    -Schonfeld Securities
    -ETG (Schonfeld grp)
    Per my knowledge right or wrong, (first traded in PDT and later stocks in LLC and then furures) these are popular firms here in ET that can sponsor you for series 7, are there anycmore?

Two questions:

1-using leverage in prop acct, Can you trade with two firms at same time ?

2-What if they sponsor you, and later you decide not to trade with them for some reason? can they screw you in any way? honest answer please? :D

#34     Jul 30, 2006
  5. ronnie69

ronnie69

Hi,

I am an IT professional supporting the OMS/EMS for a small buy side firm. Are there any benefits of doing series 7 certification for IT professionals. Will doing this certification help me do my job better.

If so can you please explain me how.

Thanks
    Ron

#35     Aug 4, 2010
  6. Hey guys. I've been trying to find info about Series 7. Do I have to get a job at a brokerage and go through the cold calling etc. in order to take the series 7 exam? I heard you had to be sponsored. I'm not interested in going to work for a company, I just want to study and take the test.

Please any links or info would be very appreciated. Thank you.

#36     Dec 9, 2010
  7. the test is not that hard.

#37     Dec 11, 2010
  8. Series 7, I read the booklet once and took 2 practice test. Passed at 79% the first time. I spent about 15-20hrs studying for it. I spent about 10 hrs on 55.

One of my friends took Kaplan for series 7.......I guess it varies from person to person.

#38     Dec 11, 2010
  9. LEAPup

LEAPup

Isn't this a four year old thread. Lol!

Anyhow, I just flew home from a day trip, and am tired, so will keep it short I hope Lol. I took the S7 when I started with Merrill Lynch in 2000. If you failed, they fired you, and you cleaned out your desk in ten minutes. I was "into" trading ag futures before that, and had a head start on about 2% of the exam imo. Lol

Why is that? The S7 is mainly written by lawyers and compliance officers so when you screw up, the firm can U5 (fire) you and say, "he knew better."

Know it's NOT an exam that's not based on the trading you read about here on ET. It's mainly rules/regs, bond calculations, basic options, more rules/regs, etc., I passed it the 1st time through. It's not that bad if you TAKE PRACTICE TESTS!!! If you stick with reading the materials only, you will fail. Skim the chapters, and TAKE PRACTICE EXAMS!!!! Then study what you missed.

Should take the average guy a month to get ready for. If you're some genius (and I'm not), maybe 2-3 weeks.

90% fail? I wouldn't think that. Maybe the CFA has a 90% fail, but I believe the S7 is about a 55% fail rate the 1st time through.

If I can pass it, anyone who at least tries will.:D

#39     Dec 11, 2010
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Almost forgot. I left Mother Merrill several years ago to go performance-only RIA. I am dual registered, meaning I keep my S7, but don't really do much with it besides the occasional Limited Partnership. Hope those taking the exam do well!:)

#40     Dec 11, 2010