Series 7 Without working for a firm????

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Rowan128, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Sorry Rowan, I wasn't implying you or others in sales are stupid. Simply that you don't have to be a genius to be a great broker nor do most firms get all uptight about your academic record. I think a seven could help. Best of luck.

#21     Aug 2, 2006
  2. Get a Series 65.... it is just as useless as the Series 7 if you think it gives you some sort of cred with investors :D.

#22     Aug 2, 2006
  3. That seems to be a trend that I've heard about in many sales-related fields. Does anyone know why that may be?

#23     Aug 21, 2006
  4. Guess I need clarification then. I obtained my Series 7 and Series 66 licenses in 2002. I worked for a broker friend of a friend of the family to get the licenses to open up more opportunities in the field. I was under the impression those licenses were good for two years (i.e. 2004)after obtaining them no what happened after leaving the original firm. I realize mine have long since expired. I'm just asking this for future reference if I reobtain them aobut the two year window. Oh yeah and anyone who tells it's easy to have a firm sponsor to take it hasn't looked for jobs in today's job market. I could have had several trading jobs but not having active licenses excluded me from consideration. I'm extremely curious about this Quest Capital option.

#24     Aug 22, 2006
  5. Being able to trade profitably is the best way to market yourself. (Or having a fat client list, if you're a broker)

Build a track record, either way.

#25     Aug 22, 2006
  6. I got my Series 7 without any sponsorship.

I applied to become a US broker-dealer in 1998 and become a member of the NASD.
    I live in Canada... and had ZERO US securities credentials.

The application process can take about 6 months...
    So during this period the applicant who will be the General Securities Principal...
    I had to do 3 exams in a certain order...
    Series 7, Series 24, and Series 28.
    Also had to do Series 55 a few years later.

The only one that was hard... is the Financial Principal Series 28.

The world is full of exemptions and loopholes... ya gotta be creative.

#26     Aug 22, 2006