Series 7, Why is it required?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by igotbadbeat, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

This is completely false. Why is there so much incorrect info on this message board.

Guys, it's very simple. If your firm is a member of any exchange other then the CBOE, you MUST have a series 7!!!

This is not open for discussion, mediation or interpretation. Maybe one day these rules will change. Until they do, this is the way it is.

#21     Nov 6, 2007
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

OK, let me try this again. Bright Trading is a member of the Chicago Stock Exchange. As an exchange MEMBER, you MUST have a series 7 unless you are a member of the CBOE. There is no way around this if you are a member of an exchange. If you choose to give your money to some joe sixpack that started an LLC under a member firm, that is your prerogative.

Caveat Emptor....

#22     Nov 6, 2007
  3. Geez Mav, all this studying done for nothing I guess - but then, what the heck would we know, LOL.

There is no "defending" of this rule or anything else - it is simply what is in effect, nothing of great global significance, certainly no need for some big debate.

Don

#23     Nov 6, 2007
  4. This only applies to b/d firms that are members of regional exchanges. The reason why firms have memberships to regional exchanges is to get JBO leverage which exceeds retail reg T 2:1 leverage, etc.. All members of the firm must be affiliated with the exchange.

Having said that, there are PLENTY of trading organizations who don't b/d JBO. Some really famous large multistrategy firms aren't broker dealers, nor do they leverage like that. NOR do they require series 7 from their PM's and traders.

#24     Nov 6, 2007
  5. Agree, there are firms that are basically one large retail account, with limited leverage (but they may not need it). From my experience these firms are not 100% payout discretionary firms with independent traders. More often than not they tend to be "employee" type relationships, which is absolutely not a problem IMO.

Now if we could only get this much solid discussion on making some money today, LOL. What's the "over/under" on SPX 1500? Seems like they love the market one day, hate it the next, glad I'm pretty hedged overall, LOL.

Don

#25     Nov 6, 2007
  6. What if you're in Canada? Would you gain anything from doing it?

Also, what books are best to learn the series 7? I ordered NASD Series 7 for Dummies. Is that a good book?

#26     Nov 29, 2007