Series 3: Possible for sbd no financial degree?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bhf, Feb 26, 2007.

1. bhf

bhf

I am profitable on commodity and their options. I am currently operating a few accounts for others for free. I am considering of expanding the accounts and collect performance based fees, which I think requires registration with NFA, so I need to pass series 3...

My question is: I don't have any financial degree. Will it be possible for sbd like me to pass the series 3 after learning some materials, say, books, and do that in a relatively short time, say, 3 months? I have no idea what series 3 is at all.

On the other hand, it seems IB does not allow charging fees to clients from advisers exempt from registration. If this correct?

Thanks.

2. bhf,

Find yourself a series 3 review book, (the STC-Securities Trading Corporation book should be fine), and study it for a while. Three months is more than enough time to study and pass the exam. You probably only need a week or two even without a financial background as long as you know how to do some pretty basic math.

SB

3. I studied for one weekend and I passed it w/o a problem. Just make sure you do all the practice test ( and dont cheat) if you pass those you'll be fine.

4. bhf

bhf

Thanks to all the guys here. Wish you succeess and hope you all shorted this morning :)