Series 3 course study material

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Calculated Risk, Jun 16, 2005.

1. toc

toc

Try Dearbourne publishing you might get the iems for $150.

2. The toughest part of the series 3 is the hedging questions.

Years ago, I took the test at a Sylvian testing center.

The study I purchased was on a CD, and I cannot remember the company name I purchased it from, (sorry).

If you get the hedging down, you should be ok.

Here's an example I remembered (relative) :

Fred is a Corn farmer who grew up in Ohio, but farms in Iowa. And he had 4 brothers in farming as well. Fred needs to hedge 750,000 bushels of # 11 yellow Corn. He is delivering in December of this year, and now, it's May. Fred is concerned that the price of Corn will drop from it's present price at $3.75 a bushel. If Fred hedges now, how many contracts will Fred have to hedge ?

None of the above

Fred doesn't care

(Usually fust 4 to 5 multiple choice)

As you can see, there's a lot of needless words in the question.

Be prepared for "brain-twisters" on the exam, especially the hedging part.

As well, part of the exam may include more needless words on the rest of the questions, but again, the hedging part is the toughest. Especially when it comes to Lumber and T-Bonds, with the 31/32 factors.

I found that the test was a bit harder than what the study materials had prepared me for.

As for which one ? I can't recommend. Perhaps if you can see a sample ?

Best to you, and I hope I was able to shed some light on your question.

:)

3. I agree thats what I used, just buy the book study it and you will do fine

4. Honestly, that test is a joke. I got my materials from www.securitiesexam.com.

All the market knowledge questions are easy. I even noticed some questions from my practice exams actually on the test. The only part that is "hard" is the rules and regs and those are not so much hard as they are annoying.

The test has two different types of questions on it general market knowledge and rules and regs. If you understand trading then you pretty much only need to study the rules and regs.

panganp likes this.
  5. panganp likes this.
  6. Thanks for the response.
    Amazom.com has several customer feedbacks on the Dearbourn material and they are all negative. I'ts amazing how little info is available on these courses/manuals. Even the companies own websites just show a picture of the books but know inside view.
    I have been pondering this for days and have still not put my hand in my pocket.
    Any more suggestions?

7. hai

you can find all the study guides and flash cards from the below link

<a href="http://www.studyguidesandflashcards.com">www.studyguidesandflashcards.com</a>

8. opal

opal

Looks like its a web tutorial.

Can you post the CD link?

9. MGJ

MGJ

LongView is correct; the practice exams on the CD from www.securitiesexam.com contain ALL of the questions you'll see on the real exam. The practice questions on CD scramble the order of the answers to the multiple choices. On the math/hedging problems, they jiggle the numbers a bit. But if you learn the questions and learn the answers and learn the HOW and WHY of the math/hedging problems, you'll score 100.

I also got the hardcopy manual (a looseleaf notebook!) from www.stcusa.com. It was slightly helpful but contained many out-of-date examples. They talked about egg futures, broiler futures, the TED spread, and other off-the-board contracts from 25 years ago. Still if you like to study outdoors without a computer, this manual is OK. Then take ALL the tests on the securitiesexam.com CD, all of them, and you'll pass easily.

#10     Feb 26, 2009
    panganp likes this.