Sequester Lies (and other fun Tidbits)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JamesL, Mar 2, 2013.

1. JamesL

JamesL

U.S. Capitol official: Obama wrong on janitors' pay cut

During his news conference to announce that he and congressional leaders failed to avert the sequester cuts going into effect tonight, President Obama gave several examples of people who will be directly affected by the cuts. It turns out, however, that one of those examples was in error.

"[A]ll the folks who are cleaning the floors at the Capitol -- now that Congress has left, somebody is going to be vacuuming and cleaning those floors and throwing out the garbage -- they're going to have less pay," Mr. Obama said. "The janitors, the security guards, they just got a pay cut, and they've got to figure out how to manage that. That's real."

The president's mention prompted Carlos Elias, the superintendent of the U.S. Capitol building and the Capitol Visitors Center, to email his employees within hours of Mr. Obama's comment.

"The pay and benefits of EACH of our employees WILL NOT be impacted," Elias wrote.

"There was a specific mention in the news today by a high ranking official that said 'The employees that clean and maintain the US Capitol will receive a cut in pay' (not specific quote but very close to it)," Elias continued.

"This is NOT TRUE," wrote Elias. "Therefore, I request that you please notify all of our employees about the importance of ignoring media reports."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57572180/u.s-capitol-official-obama-wrong-on-janitors-pay-cut/

2. JamesL

JamesL

Education secretary says 'pink slips' comment was "misinterpreted"

Education Secretary Arne Duncan said his eyebrow-raising statement that teachers were already getting “pink slips” because of the sequester was misinterpreted and that he only meant they were getting notices of potential future effects.

“What I said is that teachers were getting notices, and in the district we talked about, 110 teachers have gotten notices,” Duncan said Friday after touring the Rolling Elementary School in Takoma Park, Md. “I think there was a misinterpretation that I meant they were being laid off tomorrow.”

But the education secretary still did not indicate whether these notices could be definitively linked to the sequester, or whether they were part of an unrelated warning that affected low-income schools that receive Title I funding.

Duncan made the statement on the pink slips Wednesday when he came to the White House Briefing Room, citing Kanawha County in West Virginia.

“Whether it’s all sequester-related, I don’t know," Duncan said, "but these are teachers who are getting pink slips now."

According to the Washington Post, Kanawha's school superintendent said Thursday night that no teachers have received “pink slips” or been told they would not be coming back in the fall.

He said that because the district “do[es] not know what the cuts are” to Title I, he can’t predict whether teachers will, in fact, lose their jobs.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...-comment-was-misinterpreted?lite?ocid=twitter

3. JamesL

JamesL

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u8-d95SO_3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Letter sent to reporter that posted the video:

Here it is:

I just noticed a post by National Review On-Line contributor Charles C. W. Cooke about House Financial Services Committee Ranking Member Water’s obvious slip of the tongue (she accidentally said 170 million , when she meant 170 thousand) when referring to the number of jobs that may be lost as a result of sequestration.

I think this was below your standards, and hope you’ll reconsider the post.

Eric Orner

Deputy Communications Director
    Financial Services Committee
    Representative Maxine Waters, Ranking Member

Apparently there were no qualms with Bush's many malapropisms and such.

4. Remember the Stimulus

"Pelosi: 500 million jobs lost every month"

----------------------

Which of the 57 states will be hit the hardest with sequester?

5. Wallet

Wallet

South Virginia or West Carolina I'm not sure?

and for all you out there that like to take every letter and word literally and out of context, that was a joke.

6. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

This morning while running errands I notice a pedestrian crossing signal had been knocked out. It was working yesterday! And am now told that there is no crossing guard on Saturday? my God! How much worse are these sequestered cuts going to get? And who was the f'n moron that proposed this cluster mess?

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I know want to know why congressional salary and benefits are not being affected the the "cuts".
    These are after all the assholes that created the problem to begin with.

8. pspr

pspr

I just know that Obama's remaining salary is protected by the Constitution.