Sequel to "The Shining"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick74, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Here is some trivia:

The Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood in Oregon was used for the front exterior, but all the interiors as well as the back of the hotel were specially built at Elstree Studios in London, England. The management of the Timberline requested that Stanley Kubrick not use 217 for a room number (as specified in the book), fearing that nobody would want to stay in that room ever again. Kubrick changed the script to use the nonexistent room number 237.

To construct the interiors of the Overlook, Stanley Kubrick and his production designer, Roy Walker purposely set out to make it look like an amalgamation of bits and pieces of real hotels, rather than giving it one single design ethic. Kubrick had sent many photographers around the country photographing hotel rooms and picking his favorite. For example, the red men's bathroom was modeled on a men's room in the Biltmore Hotel in Arizona designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and the Colorado lounge was modeled on the lounge of the Ahwanee Hotel in the Yosemite Valley. Indeed, the chandeliers, windows and fireplace are nearly identical, so much so that people entering the Ahwahnee often ask if it's "the Shining hotel".

The famous opening scene was shot in Glacier National Park in Montana just north of St. Mary's Lake. The road seen in the scene, Going-to-the-Sun Road, does actually close down during winter and is only negotiable by snowcat. Kubrick initially sent a second unit to the Rockies in Colorado, but they reported back that the area wasn't very interesting. When Stanley Kubrick saw the footage they had shot, he was furious, and fired the entire unit. He then sent Greg MacGillivray, a noted helicopter cameraman, to Montana and it was McGillivray who shot the scene.

The maze was constructed on an airfield near Elstree studios, by weaving branches to chicken wire mounted on empty plywood boxes. The maze was shot using an extremely long lens (a 9.8mm, which gives a horizontal viewing angle of 90 degrees) which was kept dead level at all times, to make the hedges seem much bigger and more imposing than they were in reality.

#21     Sep 29, 2011
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

3. Maverick74

Maverick74

[​IMG]

Real photo taken from 1921 at the Overlook Hotel with Jack's head superimposed on one of the men.

#23     Sep 29, 2011
  4. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iw23KM3-Ry8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iw23KM3-Ry8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

#24     Sep 30, 2011
  5. A-No1

A-No1

Mav that's so freaky i made it my desktop :D

#25     Sep 30, 2011
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

I like the 1921 pic!

I've gotta admit, I'm not much into horror movies, but if I had to pick one, The Shining would be the one I'd watch.

It's kind of confusing at first with the different hotels, but the movie was basically "born" from the novel Stephen King wrote "The Shining," based on his stays at the Stanley Hotel one Winter in the 70's.

If one were a complete Shining fan, I'd recommend checking out the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado if ever in the Denver area.

#26     Sep 30, 2011
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bztYTkBiR0Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The trailer.

#27     Sep 30, 2011
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

#28     Sep 30, 2011