September 11, 2001 trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by drukes1234, Feb 4, 2006.

1. TheDr.

TheDr.

I remember that day quite well....I actually saw the first plane hit the bldg from where I was standing.....I recall futures that morning @ 1100-1101 area which was the Overnight high at the time....I sold it shortly after the first plane around 9:00am probably a little too ambitious at the time but.....

Anyways, I remember the futures gapped up slightly during the overnight morning was typical very mundane Tues....

Then the market sold off once it was determined it was a terrorist attack.....Futures dropped about 20pts in 5min ..If I not mistaken all the typical commodity plays held true to form....Buying Oil, Gold, and Bonds.....then I remember liquidating the position in less than minutes and the city was chaotic after that......

It was a sad day watching the towers fall, listening to the bloomberg news wire reporting even more chaos in Washington....Spot market off Monday's close (sept.10) was @1095 I remember........Then they stopped trading for that week...Market opens 2 lock limits down!!.......I never saw the futures do that at the time....Then by friday's close....All the selling was over and The following monday; Futures were already Up 20 from friday's close....It was a very edIucational week for me...But anyway, that's my recacollection. I hope I didn't confuse you with the long winded recap LOL.....

#11     Feb 4, 2006
  2. I remember that morning well....the futures were up. Many stocks were bid up on the ECN's, all of the brokers were, many of the banks were. The first plane hit, the futures sold off a few points, then rallied back up as if it was no big deal. When the second plane hit, that's when it really hit the fan and the futures tanked.

I was a rookie back then and had no idea how to trade directionally, or I could have made alot of money that day, even though the market never opened.

#12     Feb 4, 2006
  3. Well obviously you are not an engineer! And your comment regarding the skin of a plane? It does not matter what the exterior of the place was, it weighed 399,000.00lbs at over 400mph. You obviously don't have any physics background either. :)

Somethings do not add up, but extreme times often produce extreme and unusual results, sometimes unexplainable.

But hey, ya never know....It could of been anything, and you could be right:)
    Good day bud,
    -Kastro

#13     Feb 4, 2006
  4. and area 51 is housing aliens.

#14     Feb 4, 2006

5. They broke some of my trades from pre market on sep 11. I had some positions from 8am. Most of us was watching the tv and couldnt believe the 2nd plane going in the the tower. When the first building fell i left the office. I was in 67 wall street trading at sonic trading and as we ran down wall street the wave of debris was coming. That thought has always ben stuck in my mind when i think of that day. S&p was up and i came in long TMPW.

#15     Feb 4, 2006
  6. Pabst

Pabst

Ok, I'm coming clean. Like many of you on ET, in the media, military, federal and local governments, and scientific community, I have received compensation from the U.S. Government in exchange for "keeping quiet" about 9/11. Flight 77? Never happened. Ted Olson was tired of his wife's yacking so we concocted the whole flight. Clearly the hole in the Pentagon wasn't big enough even for a disintegrating aircraft. Our engineers "measured" wrong. Happens. The service station owner who says he saw the plane impact into the Pentagon? Let's just say he's charging the highest prices for premium unleaded in all of Virginia without any FTC hindrance. We also gave him a nice tip to buy NYMEX futures last spring. He's doing very well, thank you.

Of course many of you know by now that we had to shoot down Flight 93. Actually it wasn't originally part of our "plot" but sometimes Rummie likes to go for the "human angle" and the notion of heroic passengers commandeering a plane from the hijackers was just to good of a hook. Plus it kept media coverage tied up in knots. That's why you see made for TV movies about 93 and NOT about WTC 7.

Up in New York things went like clockwork. Ever hear those rumors that the reason so few Jews were killed in the Trade Center was because they were tipped by Israeli intelligence? Not exactly true. Rather Mr. Silverstien did give some well placed hints that 9/11 was the real Yom Kippur and that atonement did NOT include yield curve arbitrage that Tuesday. From Long Island to the Upper West Side that fateful morning it was virtually impossible to get near a Deli that sold a tongue on rye. Nice work Larry!

Downtown we had to lay the payola out thicker than thieves. We'd already told the FDNY that demolition of the twin towers would not start until three hours after our jets had made impact. You can imagine how pissed off the brass was when they found out about those 80 WTC elevator mechanics leaving the scene immediately. When we explained how the firefighters union will never have to fight again for another pay raise, they calmed down a bit. The cops were a little harder to appease and now with Kerik's nomination up in flames we'll have to sweeten the pot down the road. Not to worry though. New York's finest are great guys and without them turning a blind eye, publicly at least, we'd never have pulled this off.

We got to Hillary early, well before , in 2000. We got Rudy out of the Senate race and gave her a clear win. One problem though is we promised both her AND Rudy the White House in 2008. We'll see if maybe something can't be worked out, after all Rudy's too moderate for the GOP ticket anyway.

The media whores of course went snooping. Peter Jennings? Let's just say his lung cancer wasn't from cigarettes if you get my drift. Howard Stern was REALLY getting to be a pain in the ass. FCC fines, nothing would keep that big mouth quiet. He hears things and we worried he'd make into some sort of Lesbian implosion dial a date. Fortunately we were able to get him a divorce and nine figures from Sirius. The King of all Media is stoked! Hillary was a big help getting this shit past the Demo minority in Congress. Thank God she'd had the foresight to shoot that video of Boxer, Feinstein and Pelosi getting it on in front of her after that L.A. fundraiser. No siree, you won't hear a peep from those Dems.

I forgot, yes FEMA. Of COURSE the report was a whitewash. But then Brown started acting all high and mighty. When we forced out O'Neill (thanks for the assist Bono) Brown started saying shit like if he wasn't the new Treasury secretary he'd spill the beans. Because of that incompetent ego-maniac we had to spend almost five years working on Katrina. Do you think it's easy diverting a Cat4 to the Big Easy? Hell we had to start a record number of storms before we nailed it. Good thing we slowed down Rita. That one was pure rogue and POTUS would have been real pissed if we accidently took out Houston. Notice how Brown quit on Sept. 12th this year. The Muslims have their "anniversary" dates and we have ours too.

Me I used my noggin. Where as the Port authority and FDNY guys took their payoffs in depreciating dollars I asked for and got liquid gold. HAL. Euro denominated to boot. Baby.

#16     Feb 4, 2006
  7. woody008

woody008

Why does anyone even bother to help anyone here? I read the report from Underwriters Laboratories, the group reponsible for testing the steel and yes what he says is true about the 1000 degree less temp of the steel. How do you explain the 3rd world trade center building collapsing as well? No plane hit it. I guess it fell down from "fright." Aliens? I think there are more "aliens" here than area 51.

#17     Feb 4, 2006
  8. Could it be many use this place to let their imaginations run wild. Fantasyland for sure.

#18     Feb 4, 2006
  9. Someone gets a blue ribbon for that post. Excellent!

#19     Feb 4, 2006
  10. Interesting.... I have historical data in CQG and that day is completely omitted from the database. Isn't that strange? I can look at a 1 min chart of the prior day and the week after starting 17th, but nothing on 9/11 even on overnight.

As far as the building collapsing, it is not a simple matter of how hot jet fuel burns. I have designed steel structures back when I was an ambitious corporate wannabe. The airplane was probably not flying at 200 mph when it hit, I doubt they had flaps down with the nose up as it struck but I am not an expert pilot. Most traditional skyscrapers use a structural core with a curtain wall outer skin. This is not the case with the WTC (a case of the architect and design engineer getting fancy?). A building is strongest at its foundation and it gets structurally weak as it rises in the air. Kind of like a car antenna that wiggles in the wind as your drive. The airplanes hit their target high up where there is massive cantilever deflection and they struck what is basically a major part of the structural integrity of the building. The building could have failed in two ways: 1. A lateral failure in the area of the strike (which would have been a lot more devastating to the surrounding areas), or 2. A hollow core failure as the weak columns are unable to sustain the weight of the floor structure and a pancake collapse occurs (which is what we saw). It is still gut-wrenching to me to see that happen even today on TV. Without the specific yield strength of the steel (36ksi or 50ksi?) used as well as the type of connection specified in the design along with other details, it would be as good a guess as anybody as to the reason of the failure. In any case, I doubt that this kind of design will be used again any time soon. It has shown its weaknesses as far as terrorist targets and has also shown that it is not yet perfected to address fire and other causes of failure.

As far as the building next door, again, one must know how it was designed, what connection it shared with the towers along with various other variables. It is true that the structure of an airplane is made of a hollow core design (best weight/strength compromise much like a hollow tube of steel is much lighter but almost as strong as a solid tube - however, it cannot withstand a lateral hit without buckling - much like the WTC buildings). However, an airplane has a solid structural frame along with a solid mass large enough to cause severe damage (look at the Pentagon - that plane had a part of its striking force go into the ground versus a straight lateral hit which probably would have torn a gaping hole in the structure).

I have watched the story by A&E as well as Discovery and feel that the information provided by the engineers on both shows makes sense. However, any conclusions on whether or not the damage was more than can be made by an airplane is purely speculative unless someone here has sat down with the design comps for the buildings along with the bill of materials and completed design data for the airplanes that hit them along with the black-box data along with...... well.... you get my point. :)

#20     Feb 4, 2006