Seperate PC for Trading and Other

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by illinimatt81, Oct 7, 2008.

1. How many of you use seperate PCs for trading and other uses (music, email, web, etc)...debating the merits of keeping my 5 year old 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, P4 as a PC for this purpose once I build my new system...

2. gnome

gnome

After you build your new one, suggest running both computers through a router... your 2.8Ghz is still plenty competent.

3. Thanks, I agree, as hardware not making tons of strides over the past few years it would be a shame to kill this box. I put a few hundred bucks into it back in 2006 (I always do an upgrade mid-life to refresh it)

4. auspiv

auspiv

set it up as a server or some kind.. the possiblities are quite endless.. it could be a web server, mail server, media content, or even a tick database. really, its all up to you.

5. I have 2 computers and am looking for a 3rd. I like to separate my work so i don't cludder the machine.

6. absolutely should have a dedicated trading computer and network!

7. I have one dual pentium II 600 server in basement and working as an router firewall (2 internet providers; wireless and dsl). It also running as printer sever(CUPS) and back up file server.

8. Definitely maintain different PCs for trading vs everything else if you can afford it.

I have multiple PCs and laptops. I restrict the trading computers for "production" use only. Anything put on them must be tested first. I use a "crash-and-burn-and-I-dun-care" laptop to test new applications (especially trial ones or freeware), browse the web, Google, research and develop/test-drive new TradeStation indicators, etc.. You can never be too careful these days. I heard a few weeks ago that there was a site that spread viruses and all you need to do it to visit that site. Kaboom. It is never fun (been there done that) to get your computer crashed because of adware/viruses while you are in a position and the market is dropping fast!

9. Jachyra

Jachyra

My personal opinion, and the strategy that I implement, is full fault tolerance and redundancy. Any combination of the following can happen at any moment while you're in the middle of a trade:

* You could lose your internet connection

* Your computer hard drive or power supply could crash

* You could lose power

* When you need it the most, your UPS could fail to work because you waited to long to replace the battery when it started going bad (or it could just be faulty)

* Your monitor(s) could die

* Your broker's servers could go down making it impossible for you to submit and/or cancel orders

So I always make sure I have two of everything:

* Two computers with different monitors attached

* Two UPS units

* Two different internet connections using two completely different technologies (cable & dsl);

* Two routers

* Two trading accounts with two different clearing firms (both connected and ready to trade).

That way even if one entire setup spontaneously combusts, all I have to do is turn my head and I am ready to go. Also, if my clearing firms servers go down, I can immediately hedge off my position in a completely separate account with a completely different firm that has a completely separate server farm.

The only single point of failure that exists is if trading is halted because of an exchange outage. There isn't much you can do about that though other than maintain a backup account at a firm where you can trade an appropriate vehicle to hedge with that is traded at a separate exchange (like hedging off your ES position with SPY if the CME goes down).

And both computers don't necessarily have to be dedicated to trading. I dedicate one computer exclusively to trading, and the other computer is a recreational computer that I use for everything else. However, on the recreational computer, I jut run a virtual machine that has my trading applications in it, that way its completely isolated and unaffected from any problems that may exist on the host machine (like a virus or a worm). I just start the virtual machine when I start trading, and suspend it when I'm done. But this way while I'm trading, I can always get to the markets even if one machine has a major meltdown.

10. LOL! With all these precautions and redundancies, the only remaining single point of failure is YOURSELF! What if you are heavy in a position and the market runs against you, and you have a heart attack? If you fall unconscious in the hospital for a few days, you can end up having big losses during a market melt down.

So... make sure your spouse is trained how to handle the emergency. Give your spouse the authorization to trade. Call the brokerage firms to close out all your positions (if any). (Or get a trustworthy trading partner.)

LOL...

#10     Feb 8, 2009