Separate trading office

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by spreadem, Jun 7, 2003.

1. The office complex where I have a space is filled with other small businesses, most of them one or two man operations, is an eclectic mix of personalities from diverse backgrounds. I find that it is a stimulating environment for business ideas more so than just trading ideas.

#21     Jun 9, 2003
  2. maxpi

maxpi

Oh yeah. That is a big part of my short term planning, get an office far enough from home so I won't be called on to do errands or bothered by anything less than a true crisis. I come home and my home office space has been rearranged to accomodate a guest, or just rearranged, or my book shelves have been rearranged or cleaned out or whatever, it just doesn't work that way for me. I've relocated the home office from a travel trailer parked in the back yard to the den, to not existing anywhere in particular for awhile!! I was contemplating a wireless DSL hookup/laptop/favorite-restaurant setup for awhile!! I get no respect!! My wife just doesn't think I will make it as a trader!! Gotta love her though.

Can't wait to get an office with a T1 line and business oriented people around me and a huge bookshelf and wallstreet collectable posters and memorabilia, etc.

Max

#22     Jun 9, 2003
  3. Foz

Foz

I can see how a toddler can be distracting... But in what way is the nanny distracting? Please elaborate. Feel free to insert pictures. :D

#23     Jun 9, 2003
  4. chessman

chessman Guest

Alas, despite my pleading, my wife only hires nannies who are middle age or older :mad:

If we had a 19 yr old nanny, I would probably never leave home...

#24     Jun 9, 2003
  5. Tea

Tea

Steven Seagal left his wife, actress Kelly LeBrock for his 19 year old nanny.

#25     Jun 9, 2003
  6. gimp570

gimp570

I traded the first 4 years of my career in an office..with a bunch of great traders....it was a very good environment...but to cut my costs I made the move to a home office....Although the move had to be done...I really miss being in an office...but good office are becoming rarer and rarer these days

M

#26     Jun 9, 2003
  7. I have a nice, quiet office in the back of my apartment where I'm learning to trade, replete with a window and nice view of a mountain and church steeple. It is MY place.. We chose the apartment specifically for this office room. I like to keep it sparse, with just a portrait of my grandfather on the wall. Come to think of it, I could use a nanny in here too.

I also sometimes wonder if I would keep on my toes for longer periods with other traders around. Personally, I benefit from a little friendly competition, as well as comisseration when called for. Lately I've been talking to a few other traders on IRC, and that seems to do the trick, best part is I can minimize them at any time and there's zero commitment. I do believe however that chemistry is a vital issue when working with other traders around. You don't want negativity or a personality conflict to distract your focus.

#27     Jun 9, 2003
  8. Andre

Andre

Vanilla... check out the Elite Trader chat room during the day. It's a good place to hang out.

I trade from home and like it, but it is rather lonely at times...

That might explain the 3263 posts at last count, huh? ::grins:: I can usually find the conversation I might need online. If I were to trade from an office, I'd probably do something similar as others suggested, share office space with someone other than a trader.

As it is, I love working from home. Mind you, I'm not really going to try full time trading until my daughter is in first grade, and gone essentially trading hours, (I'm on the left coast). And, we rebuilt our garage... upstairs is where I'll have my office one day. That should be very nice.

André

#28     Jun 9, 2003
  9. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

Trading from a home is what I make it. I used to watch the Cartoon Network in lieu of CNBC ( I actually got more entertainment, I think the Road Runner would have been a day trader). If you're gonna trade from home. get up well before the market opens, take a shower, and get dressed like business dress down for work. If your having a bad streak, put on a suit (the wife/husband may think you're crazy) you're clothes dictate your state of mind. Go out and get whatever you have in the morning. Me, 2-16 oz. coffee and two cigarretes. I listen to Hendrix or The Doors until 10:45amET, and then switch to Bocelli, Dino Martino or Sinatra until 2pmET. My wife's a hottie, but if I were to hire a nannie, she would be very old, so I could keep focused. After 2pmET I listen to intensive music, like the one on my site. During summer months, I get out and play some golf. Back nine at 11am and back by 1:30pm. If the wife needs me to run errands, I pull up our online checking account.

Trading in an office is great to build discipline, sitting next to traders, like Kentucky Derby gamblers is a real PIA, Having no one is tough too, send me and IM on AOL, "VeniVeci" if you want to chat and say Hi. Oh, BTW if you're hedge doesn't understand what you do for a living, leave it that way.

#29     Jun 10, 2003
  10. Elliott

Elliott

New to forum here, good discussions. Trading at home and loving it.

I came from a Construction Contractor work environment of constant pressure, 14 hr. days, 6-7 days a week. I worked out of an office with others in the industry which was a very healthy and energetic situation and everybody profited from it. I also have always had a home office. Having time to spend with family & friends during the evening (a must to me) led me to be able to stay focused on work at home, most times well into the night, in order to be prepared in the morning.

This "late night work ethic" at home now helps to study charts, backtest ideas, etc. when necessary. I like to work from home cause I can go into my office and develop ideas at a moments notice, with all the comforts thereof. Now as a trader, I don't have to market to anyone, meet with clients etc. which would be done more effectively in a more professional setting.

I swing trade futures, which is rather slow paced and allows me time to do lots of things to take my mind off of the market, positions, stops ..... This, in turn, helps me keep focused on system strategy - set up, determine the risks and rewards and let it fly! Golfing allows good interaction with other business professionals, house projects, my 88 year old Dad, cooking, exercise, all are fringe benefits to putting in the many, many hours of study and dollars to become a trader.

Personally, I like the home environment. It takes added discipline, but if you aren't disciplined - don't trade. But some may like being around others in a remote office. Whatever helps you succeed at this as an individual to reach your own style and most importantly, profitability. Maybe one day I might miss the drive into the office, Not.

Recently discovered ET. Appreciate the good exchange of ideas here from you guys. Hope to contribute.

Much Success,

#30     Jun 10, 2003