Sentinel Management Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ASusilovic, Aug 18, 2007.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

call them and make withdrawal request, see what they have to say.
    ps. just read Cdntrader's post above, you better do it quick.

#21     Aug 18, 2007
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

I also have an account with velocity, a very small one. I did not realize that FCMs invest their clients money. Is veloci ty in jepardy?

#22     Aug 18, 2007
  3. I'm sorry to hear your funds might be in trouble. But if you want extra insurance on large accounts, you can purchase a bond from some insurance agencies, so that firm risk is eliminated.

I think Mann Financial offers this type of insurance, especially if you have a need to trade at a bucket shop type place. In this climate its hard to differentiate what firms have solid risk profile and which ones don't, I will be closing out some accounts, secondary to possible insolvency risks in the future. Who would have thought Refco would have gone under.

#23     Aug 18, 2007
  4. I believe only if you designate account in managed futures type situation.

But cash getting funneled into money markets is a risk that would not have been a risk in the past. I would check where your firms park cash in.

#24     Aug 18, 2007
  5. My best guess is you may be out some money. Hopefully it'll only be half your account. I wouldn't rule out a bailout but as long as the CME is unscathed I can't say whose interests will coincide with yours.

Segregated accounts aren't applicable to this issue. All that legal stuff becomes moot anyway's as soon as the money's gone and the principal's are unable to replace it. Blood from a rock......

#25     Aug 18, 2007
  6. If Sentinel's customers weren't in urgent need of cash themselves this wouldn't be an issue.

The securities Sentinel held weren't all in default they were just trading at crappy prices. Presumably down the road most this paper will be redeemed at par.

However clearing firms have seen their customer accounts suffer massive losses the past month. Shit, how many Velocity traders do you think blew up this week? I bet millions worth. Now Velocity needs cash out of Sentinel to margin existing positions. Sentinel say's no can do which starts a run of sorts. Just like a 1930's bank.

#26     Aug 18, 2007
  7. a possible check, could be this at your firm.

tell the firm to open another account at the same firm. Take hedged position, meaning if your long 100 sp futures in account A, short 100 sp futures in account B.

Or max out margin/overnight requirements, in both accounts with a hedge. It forces the firm to move your cash into derivatives that have more counterparty insurance, and out of cash/money markets.

If your firm gives you trouble in doing this, then this performance test, has stressed their financial structure and they failed the test. If price oscillation creates margin needs just offset it from the other account day to day till the storm passes.

#27     Aug 18, 2007
  8. All true but it's closing the door behind the horse. Firm's that are in Sentinel like accounts are revaluating and those who're already bust....well no remedy.

Bottom line: Any firm can go broke.

When one trades through Morgan they're not trading through the Bank they're trading through subsidiary Securities Inc. And if Inc goes blink because of the biggest trading loss in history then your account is up the creek. I betya even Goldman, Lehman and Bear have seen some folks pull money in the past few weeks. How big was Hutton? Or Du Pont? Or Goodbody? Or Barings?

a possible check, could be this at your firm.

tell the firm to open another account at the same firm. Take hedged position, meaning if your long 100 sp futures in account A, short 100 sp futures in account B.

Or max out margin/overnight requirements, in both accounts with a hedge. It forces the firm to move your cash into derivatives that have more counterparty insurance, and out of cash/money markets.

If your firm gives you trouble in doing this, then this performance test, has stressed their financial structure and they failed the test. If price oscillation creates margin needs just offset it from the other account day to day till the storm passes.
    [/QUOTE]

#28     Aug 18, 2007
  9. According to the 6/30/07 FCM Financial Data available here, Velocity had (on 6/30/07) 19M+ segregated customer funds.

If those numbers have remained similar since that time, Sentinel held about 50% of that.

Velocity certainly is not what I would consider flush with cash, but I think Pabst is overboard writing an epitaph for Velocity and Velocity customers.

Relax... watch the path of Dean... Houston is not a certain target.
    Osorico

EDIT: I do agree there is a fly in the ointment. Im reminded of an old WS adage I was discussing just yesterday... If you think the bottom is in, it probably isn't. If you know the bottom is in, you're late.

#29     Aug 18, 2007
  10. Does this mean the market is gonna tank Monday?

#30     Aug 18, 2007