Sensory Defensiveness/Hypersensitivity

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Rearden Metal, Oct 13, 2009.

Got Sensory Defensiveness?

1. Nope, no problem here.

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Only a little bit.

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Yes, to a moderate degree.

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. Yes, and it's pretty harsh.

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. ElCubano

ElCubano

I feel your pain homey, in more ways than you can imagine. I have a son that was dx'd with autism at an early age and later pdd-nos, not that you have that but it all boils down to sensory, they can label it what they want but it is all about sensory from mild to severe. My son has porblems with food textures, noise and just plain understanding certain procedures, inverting letters, saying he when it is a she. these are disabilities that have no cure you are either on the spectrum or neurotypical. Avoid what makes you overload and learn how to stym it out....peace and good luck

#31     Oct 13, 2009
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

ASD...input affects output.

#32     Oct 13, 2009
  3. Thanks.

#33     Oct 13, 2009
  4. Fractal

Fractal

I'm sorry to hear that. It must be incredibly difficult to have a child experiencing such things, while you're unable to make it easier on him. Even the texture of food... !

#34     Oct 13, 2009
  5. promagma

promagma

Of course, being neurotic helps make a good trader. You learn to think defensively and never take anything for granted.
    And when you win big, you don't start to feel over confident, because mostly you just feel neurotic.
    And when you lose big, you don't feel depressed and go revenge trading, because mostly you just feel neurotic.

That fly buzzing out the window is far more important than what happened on the last trade.

#35     Oct 13, 2009
  6. ammo

ammo

If any of these ailments are neural this might help. Take a baseball cap and clip a peice of paper dropping off the center of the bill, this should, when done right, make it impossible for your right eye to see left and vice versa. Now do an excercise with a pen in each hand and write the numbers 1 thru 30 or 40 simultaneously. Your right brain controls your left body and left brain, your right. The blinder forces the right brain to tell the left brain what the right hand is doing at the same time the left brain is directing the right brain. There is a tiny synapse in your brain, the size of a dime, where electrical current passes back and forth between the 2 halves This excercise causes you to overload this synapse and sort of build it up like a muscle. Repeat daily like a ritual, Elcubano, autistics like rituals,maybe u do it every day and your child will want to. I saw a program on pbs where a doctor did this every day with an 8th grade boy with severe ADD,in 9 months he went from 48th in a class of 48 to 2 She had a peice of plywood that the boy would press his nose/forehead to while sitting at a table and there was a peice of paper on the left side and one on the right

#36     Oct 13, 2009
  7. maxpi

maxpi

Ammo, thanks for good info..

I've experimented with just moving both eyes far left and looking for a split sec, then far right and repeating for 30 to 60 secs.. it helps to get the brain halves to work together and my proof is that I can follow conversations from my wife who has a particularly annoying habit of making sentences, paragraphs, indeed whole stories with no explicit expression of what or who the subject is... women can follow that kind of speech I guess and I can a little better with those exercises...

Regarding inflammation, I'm on to something.. I snort colloidal silver. I avoided the stuff because of all the controversy but with this serious flu going around I thought now is the time to be a little less cautious maybe so I got some that seemed to be high quality.. I took a few doses orally and wow, I had the same side effects as with an antibiotic prescription... so I didn't want to kill off all the good bacteria in my gut, I got some nasal atomizers and started snorting the stuff a few times a day.. over time dental infections that were truly bothersome went away entirely and maybe, generally, I'm feeling a little better in the psyche department, not sure because I'm experimenting with nootropics and whatnot all the time but I'd say that it's working to quell inflammation in my entire body probably.. I had a lung infection that got progressively worse until it hurt pretty much when I coughed so I got a nebulizer and I inhaled the silver solution with no side effects, it seemed to help, not as much as the course of antibiotics that I started eventually but it seemed to help a bit, I got called away for a few days and only did a couple of the treatments, who knows, if I treated with it several times a day it might have been the cure... they always had silver for an antibiotic but now they can make much better solutions of the stuff... it's coming into use for cleaning in hospitals I heard, nothing can develop a resistance to it and they need to do something about MRSA...

#37     Oct 14, 2009
  8. nitro

nitro

Fischer was hypersensitive

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1086334/1/index.htm

The lighting had to be exact. The size of the squares and pieces had to be custom. The people in the audience had to be a certain distance away. The list is endless.

In contrast to Fischer is Terence Reese, one of the greatest bridge players ever:

LMAO :D

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/01/n...e-bridge-writer-and-one-time-champion-82.html

#38     Oct 14, 2009
  9. Tons of great replies here, and I'll have to try some of your suggestions.
    There's an entire list of 'other things' that have a tendency to overlap with sensory defensiveness (but not always).

*Aspergers/autism spectrum/PDD. I knew someone would bring that up, especially since the key word 'neurotypical' came up twice in my thread opening post.

* Endorphin Deficiency Syndrome, with sensory defensiveness being one of the five common traits of people with EDS.

* INTP-ism. (Do INTJ's sometimes get this too?)

* Low Latent Inhibition

*ADD/ADHD

* DaVinci type-ism

*Awesome pattern recognition/trading abilities. ("Kill all my demons, and my angels might die too.")

#39     Oct 14, 2009
  10. I fit the INTP, ADD (aka FPA - focus prioritisation advantage), davinci and pattern recognition parts but don't have the other stuff. After reading this thread I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing, maybe I would be richer but more fucked up.

FWIW that Davinci book was really useful, maybe the only "self help" book I read that was worth more than the cover price.

#40     Oct 14, 2009