Sending resumes to prop firms

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by jpomerenke, Jul 25, 2002.

1. i know a office manger in a top prop firm( no hes not on elite trader).....but anyways he said when he recieves resumes of college grads who say what sumemr jobs they had ect ect..he laughs..his exact words were he dont give a shit if you worked at wallgreens last summer....he said he wants to know what you know about trading , what books you have read, what experience you have had trading...why you wanna trade ect ect.....
    has anyone noticed if all prop firms mangers like this? would this be the best way to right a resume to a firm...
    any personal experience and advice would be great!!

cheers
    joey:D

2. Trading resumes are certainly different than the corporate world norm.

Don't include a "relative coursework" section. Those are usually good for a few laughs.

If you compete in anything, anything at all from video games to chess to rugby, that might be good to mention.

Basic computer skills are helpful.

I have seen many managers attach importance to GPA. I disagree, but people still like a high gpa.

And of course anything to do with trading will help. Even if you just open a $500 Ameritrade account and attempt to position trade, that would be a positive on a resume, imo.

Just my .02, opinions will vary on this topic.

3. nike

nike

some prop firms are more willing to hire recent college grads with no trading experience. those who do may have what they called " bad habbits".

4. The most important thing is to get across how much you want it; the rest is bullshit ...

5. trade4me

trade4me

Can someone please explain to me what Proprietary trading is all about? I trade for myself, but I would like to know why someone would want to trade for a company.

thanks in advance.

Trade4me

6. there are many threds on that..just search for them....lets not be changing the subject in this thread..

7. Maybe you should attach some of your postings here to your resume or cover letter as evidence of desire and talent and understanding. You would give up your ananimity (anonymousness?) but that might be worth it.

8. There are links on my website to a couple of articles about Proprietary trading that you may like to read. I know (for equal time) that Mr. Tharp has an excellent one as well.

Here is where you can see the Stocks and Commodities articles.

Becoming a Proprietary Trader
    June, 2001

http://www.stocktrading.com/html/articles_news.html

Don

9. I interviewed with several firms before I began trading. Just as with other jobs, what each one was looking for varied by firm (or more specifically, by interviewer). One guy interviewing me interrupted me the moemnt I told him about the books I'd read and traders I'd learned from to tell me that all of that (reading books and talking with traders) was worthless. At another firm, the manager interviewing me was impressed by all the books I'd read and traders I'd spoken too. Yet another guy seemed indifferent, and only seemed to care about what sports I'd played and various test scores. Each interviewer has his or her own opinions on what is important. These differences are due to differing personal and professional backgrounds (interviewers may be "head traders", floor managers, human resource personnel, other or a combination of these). Moreover, these differences are also due to the myriad of intellectual, psychological, motivational and disciplinary factors that make for a good trader (or sabotage a trader). Therefore, my best advice (after not becoming a tradre at this time) would be to try to hit all the notes for your resume/interview. Good luck!