Senator suggests AIG execs should kill themselves

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Banjo, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Government has been bought by the international banks, so please place your blame appropriately.

They are in overdrive mode. AIG isn't being allowed to fail so that they can funnel aka payout money on their CDS obligations.

#21     Mar 17, 2009
  2. Exactly. I understand the public outrage at these employees getting bonuses, but if their compensation contract states they get a certain bonus if certain benchmarks are met, then AIG can't just disregard those contracts.

#22     Mar 17, 2009
  3. gnome

gnome

Wouldn't those contracts be defaulted upon if the company didn't have the money?

Then those defaulted contract owners could become "general creditors" in a BK settlement... that's how it used to work in America.

#23     Mar 17, 2009
  4. eagle

eagle

Agreed. Of course, the performance was hit with a very high mark of exceed expectation (outstanding performance) since you have managed to make an income of $173 billion in a short time frame. :D

Beside kidding, I agree with you about the performance met. But in life, there is always an exception and in these circumstances the exception becomes an obligation to omit that clause.

#24     Mar 17, 2009
  5. Manni

Manni

AIG was saved because Paulson did'nt want his buddies at Goldmans missing out on their bonuses. The whole thing was such a blatant scam.

I wonder when we'll see Paulson taking a job at Goldmans, he needs to collect on the billions of taxpayer money he poured into AIG.

AIG should be allowed to go bust and all employees of sustainable businesses should be made to re-apply for thier jobs. This would allow the business to strip any bonus clauses in the current contracts.

#25     Mar 17, 2009
  6. You have the government to thank for AIG using taxpayer money for bonuses. You are correct in that the government should have instituted some kind of clause to ensure bailout money was not used for bonuses. But since they didn't, I don't see any way AIG can be forced to not pay these.

#26     Mar 17, 2009
  7. imbiber

imbiber Guest

Well that's one way to get all the money back.

#27     Mar 17, 2009
  8. You mean - going BACK to Goldman, since that is where they plucked him from in the 1st place...

#28     Mar 17, 2009
  9. Yes I agree with you. Except AIG TECHNICALLY is not bankrupt...and AIG TECHNICALLY now has the money to pay the bonuses thanks to the USA government. So in a court of law I think the employees would have a case to receive bonuses.

Not that I agree with the morality of it all, but technically speaking I believe this to be the case.

#29     Mar 17, 2009
  10. They can't pay out their derivatives obligations, what do you mean it's not bankrupt?

#30     Mar 17, 2009