Senate passes $612 bln defense spending bill

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by staffpro, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Congress authorizes spending. Congress is democrat dominated. Blame Bush all you want, but congress is equally culpable.

I'm not saying Bush isn't an idiot for proposing this. I am saying they are all idiots for allowing this much spending.

#21     Sep 18, 2008
  2. CBS news reported in 2002, that more than $2.3 Trillion were stolen from the pentagon and that the Defense Department "Cannot Account for"(insiders have stolen) 25% Of Funds :

Defense Department Cannot Account For 25% Of Funds — $2.3 Trillion stolen

#22     Sep 18, 2008
  3. $612b/14.5t=4.22% of gdp. That's not bad. Small price to pay. I guess we'd take over the world at 50% of gdp like N. Korea.

#23     Sep 18, 2008
  4. This doesn't bother me at all, to be honest.

Ever wonder what UFO's are? Ever stop to think what's beyond an early nineties F-117 or B-2 bomber? Yeah, I'm sure you won't realize it till it's acknolwedged.

#24     Sep 18, 2008
  5. A more fundamental argument is its direct effect on aggregate demand, which spurs the economy. I think the Soviet Union tried to fight a market. It's not around anymore.

#25     Sep 18, 2008
  6. Very true.
    As a percentage of GDP, this number is not all that big, and well under the average for the past 45 years.

Bottom line:

Hedge yourself by buying some LMT or LLL.

It is a great performing sector.
    :)

#26     Sep 18, 2008
  7. piezoe

piezoe

But just the opposite in the very long run. It's what bankrupts counties in the very long run. Spending too high a percentage of your assets (or borrowings) on wasting assets and too little on investment leads to ruin in the long run.

There is some very curious misguided thinking going on here. While it is true that military spending in the short to intermediate term can be bullish, the same affect can be had by spending on infrastructure. So it would be wrong to conclude that it is a good idea to waste your assets on military spending just to goose the stock market (and maybe maim a few thousand hapless people we don't know.) How bizarre is that? That's the kind of thinking (or perhaps "twinking", which is thinking with a wink) i'd expect from Lockheed Martin Marietta. But we at ET are too sophisticated to fall for those "arguments", aren't we?

I think we should change the name of the Department of Defense (DOD) to the Department of Aggression (DOA). Has a rather nice ring to it!

#27     Sep 18, 2008
  8. Excellent link.

Very depressing because 1) it's true, 2) the majority of Americans support our imperialism, and 3) a nation armed with nuclear weapons and a pyschology based on irrational religious beliefs and a history of militarism can mean nothing but trouble.

As Einstein said; ""I don't know what will be used in the next world war, but the 4th will be fought with stones."

It's selfish I know, but I can only hope that the chaos can be prevented until my death. At 54, that should only require 20 years or so.

#28     Sep 18, 2008
  9. piezoe

piezoe

Very nice post. Thanks.

#29     Sep 20, 2008
  10. China 60 billion/11 trillion = .005%??? are my calculations right??

imo if china wanted to, they could snap their fingers and become a superpower 100x greater both financially(which they will be in 3-4 years anyway) as well as militarily EASILY.

at that point in time, the US credit rating will be in jeopardy

#30     Sep 20, 2008