Sen. Shelby Introduces 17% Flat Tax

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jan 29, 2013.

1. I think the above ^^ would keep low earners from having a major issue also. I am in the lower income bracket right now (20yo w/ wife and son making 30k) and I would be more than happy to go for a plan like that.

#11     Jan 30, 2013
  2. pspr

pspr

No other argument against the flat tax, eh.

#12     Jan 30, 2013
  3. big arrow is such an ass. How do you not have him/her/it on ignore? After all, he's an enemy of America.

#13     Jan 30, 2013
  4. big arrow is such an ass. How do you not have him/her/it on ignore? After all, he's a parasitic tit-sucker and an enemy of America.

#14     Jan 30, 2013
  5. It might good, depends on the details. I'm open to change in our tax system.
    I don't like whiners like scatty puss, that's why I told him to go to Russia since he thinks its a better place.

Edit: I am VERY open to changes in our tax system.

#15     Jan 30, 2013
  6. pspr

pspr

Hey, we already agree on something. :D

Scat, I've had Big A and some others on ignore for over a year so I thought I should give a few of these guys a chance who at least try to make logical arguments. It's not going well with IQ-47 but Big A is being respectful so far. I'm sure we'll eventually bump heads. :cool:

#16     Jan 30, 2013
  7. achilles28

achilles28

I'd like to see a consumption tax.

The Government has no business keeping dossiers on the financial lives of citizens. None, whatsoever. But every year, they know what we do, how much we make, who we work for, for how long. That's all bullshit. The Government shouldn't know the first thing about how much I make and who I work for. It's none of their damn business.

#17     Jan 30, 2013
  8. Nothing changes unless the lobbyists are kicked out of D.C.

Every tax attorney and CPA has a vested interest in a more complex tax code and they have their representatives in DC making sure it stays that way.

I've stopped "imagining" any sort of improvement in the status quo as it's like believing in the tooth fairy.

#18     Jan 30, 2013
  9. I'm for a flat CONSUMPTION tax. I think Jems' 11-12% rate should be the upper limit.

Have any of you looked at the actual tax codes? I have. It is thousands of tax breaks, most of which are aimed at a specific company and giving complete freedom from paying any income tax. They are all written so as to not expose the name of the company or individual that pays no tax. They have descriptions like "west of the mississippi, north of the north border of the town of xyz and east of yyzz longitude". I had the idea only a couple of days back to get a team and start going through those codes and publishing the names and addresses of every company and every individual that has paid a legislator to stick a tax exemption in the tax codes for them. I'd do it via a website with the Google Map and all of it... Let people know how hugely flawed the income tax system is and they might want a flat consumption tax. This flat income tax would not put a stop to these complete exemptions from paying taxes.

#19     Jan 30, 2013
  10. Exactly. It isn't the progressive tax system that is the problem. We have a Tax system that is impossible to completely understand, an unfair system with tax shelters, deductions, credits it's insane. I don't think there is a chance in hell there will be a complete overhaul or that it would really change things. Look at our congress, don't you think they could complicate a flat tax. I think the solution is fix it a bite at a time, which won't happen either, so all we're left with is a bullshit session on chat forum.

#20     Jan 30, 2013