Selling VIX puts

Discussion in 'Options' started by paget, Jun 9, 2021.

1. destriero

destriero

Yeah, selling VIX puts is pure champion shit. rallymode made like $8MM trading VIX switches in three years from a few hundred K. He would shit himself with laughter over shorting pennies in VIX puts. It's a two figure IQ move.

Imagine holding a twenty cent put for a month.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    #11     Jun 10, 2021
  2. destriero

destriero

HTF is that a hedge?

#12     Jun 10, 2021
    newwurldmn likes this.
  3. destriero

destriero

Bro, I'll let you in on this incredible swing. Sell the 30d 16P at 0.2 net. VIX rallies a buck on CPI and you make three cents.

#13     Jun 10, 2021
    KCalhoun likes this.
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

And it’s very possible vix is 15 by then.

#14     Jun 10, 2021
    destriero likes this.
  5. Girija

Girija

If you don't have an edge with vix you are far better staying away from it. Super low is a subjective reference and it is not an edge. To make money on dimes you will eventually increase your trade size and then you could blow up the account spectacularly. The options are on futures. It has a forward looking piece to it.

#15     Jun 10, 2021
    Gambit likes this.
  6. These are mostly calls... if he is selling short calls then he will blow out pretty soon and the fabricated 8000% return will mean he will lose his entire portfolio.

#16     Jun 11, 2021
    ITM_Latino and Aged Learner like this.
  7. guru

guru

No, he was mainly selling puts, while only occasionally calls. I just grabbed one sample screenshot I could quickly pull out of his Twitter. Sometimes he might've sold calls while also having sold puts, so ending up with short strangles. And all of that was mainly during high IV when both had high premium. I think he stopped in 2019, and focused on personal investments in biotech.

#17     Jun 11, 2021
  8. paget

paget

Regarding the comments about low premiums when selling VIX puts, yes that is obvious. But thing is, the point of this trade could be simply to offset cost of buying VIX calls as hedge(ie. typical risk-reversal). Everybody knows that hedging cost money so I was only wondering on how to reduce the overall drag, not how to generate actual profits.

#18     Jun 14, 2021
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

if the vix puts are cheap, why would you use it to offset another asset? Hedging a hedge is just adding a speculative position.

#19     Jun 14, 2021