Selling some stocks and adding bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by john7722, Apr 12, 2021.

1. john7722

john7722

1% of my investment is in bitcoins. 99% in stocks.

I can't decide if I should add more bitcoins.
    I would like to add more but I scared that It will drop the moment I buy it.

What finally convinced you to take the risk and add bitcoins to your long term portfolio.
    What percentage do you have in bitcoins?

I know almost nothing about bitcoins , it seems like a bubble ,but I wouldn't be surprised if it hit either 1mil or $2000 in 10 yrs.

Randy Boy likes this.
  2. hi there

how long have you been investing ?

3. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

In order to successfully hold Bitcoin you need to do the work, and that takes 3-6 months of reading/thinking. Otherwise, the odds are if/when it has one of it big dumps, you'll get scared and sell out around the lows.

But with the right foundation of what is is, and what it's trying to do, it's odds on you'll hold through the dump and maybe even add to your stack.

The best place to start is here -

https://unchained-capital.com/blog/author/plewis/

Start at the beginning, and read them at least twice. Then start to THINK where the world is heading and where's we'll be in 3-5+ years.

4. Nobert

Nobert

If you're considering to buy BTC at these levels you're probably long index (or if not then under performing comparing to it, unless allocated like 50% in TSLA, which also would be crazy), thus you have 3 options :

#1. Learn TA & FA
    #2. Stay long in index
    #3. Wait till BTC falls to $25 000 area and allocate 10% in it through the span of 6-12 months.

Otherwise will be wondering in the dark, asking for help in forums.

5. R1234

R1234

Personally, I have no idea whether its a bubble. Maybe its just a fad or maybe its the future of currency.

Either way I don't really care because I plan to trade it long and short once those bitcoin micros start trading on CME.

formikatrading likes this.
  6. RedDuke

RedDuke

Very curious what the volume would be

7. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

Probably crap compared to the big Exchanges like Binance/Bitmex etc. But it's another option for traders so it's very welcome.

As R1234 points out above, he doesn't care about actual Bitcoin, he just wants to make some cash on its movement. Plenty more like him out there and the regulation and security of a proper Exchange/broker helps a lot of people especially Americans because the Land of the Free has banned them from opening accounts with the offshore brokers.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  8. RedDuke

RedDuke

Are they real futures, or just off short bucket shops products, where broker takes the other side and due to decentralized nature can just run stops, done in many forex bucket shops.

9. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

Legit futures Duke. It's you trading against me, not us trading against a market maker. No different to Bond futures or ES.

10. john7722

john7722

I am long index and I have around 100 other companies and about 15% in tesla.
    I have outperformed index thanks to tesla by 2-3% but I feel like I am missing out on bitcoin run up. I guess I am just stupid or greedy. In my long term portfolio I don't trade just buy and hold for at least 5-10y or so . I am thinking doing the same with bitcoins. When bitcoin was around $500 i told my friend it is just another bubble and it might not be aroud in 5y. It proves I have no idea about it.

#10     Apr 12, 2021
    Nobert likes this.