Selling puts

Discussion in 'Options' started by NasdaqTrader, Mar 24, 2004.

1. SumJurk

SumJurk

That's a good question for Linda Raschke...I'll give you the quote from her interview.

"When I sold the options, I knew I would be okay as long as the stock didn't go over $55.00. Unfortunately, the stocked jumped from $34 to $65 on takeover news. Suddenly, I discovered you could lose $80,000 overnight." The New Market Wizards...pg.298

#21     Mar 24, 2004
  2. SumJurk

SumJurk

That's it...I won't waste any more time on you.

#22     Mar 24, 2004
  3. SumJurk

SumJurk

Same for you, (I'm not going to waste my time) just go sell your 125 options. Just don't say you weren't warned.

#23     Mar 24, 2004
  4. Cutten

Cutten

On the vast majority of stocks, short 3 puts cannot lose $50k under any circumstances whatsoever.

Perhaps your lengthy experience trading options will allow you to explain to us why the broker would demand more collateral than the maximum possible loss?

#24     Mar 24, 2004
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Will someone please close this thread, it is now becoming completely gay and useless. Get this crap out of here. Trash talking is for chit chat. You guys can measure your cocks over there. LOL. :cool:

#25     Mar 24, 2004
  6. Right, unfortunately we're talking PUTS here, chief. I think we're all familiar with basic arithmetic and the risk of selling naked gamma.

riskarb

#26     Mar 24, 2004
  7. She was writing naked calls,which is something i would never do.But selling puts on stocks that you wouldn't mind owning at the strike price,if you were assigned,seems like a great and simple strategy.

#27     Mar 24, 2004
  8. Homophobe!

For the life of me I cannot find the cock-measuring thread you're referring to Maverick, please post a link ;-)

riskarb

#28     Mar 24, 2004
  9. SumJurk

SumJurk

Finally, someone who post in a mature way.

Like I said, it was just after the crash of 87, and a lot of brokers got burned big time. I haven't traded options in about 15 years, so I'm sure margin requirements have changed, but I just find it hard to believe a broker would let some guy sell 125 puts with $50,000.

If you can, then yes, things have really changed. But, as you can see from my L. Rashke quote, you can get burned big time holding a large position. I believe she only had $30,000 at the time.

Of course, with electronic monitoring of accounts now, it may be perfectly okay with brokers to allow that large a position. Since, the computers will close everything auto, 24 hrs a day.

#29     Mar 24, 2004
  10. How can you call a guy a homophobe when he was talking about NAKED PUTS??:p :p :p

#30     Mar 24, 2004