Selling puts

Discussion in 'Options' started by NasdaqTrader, Mar 24, 2004.

1. He'll only be allowed to "sell 3 or so [options] at once" on a $50k account?!? That's the most ridiculous thing I've read on ET today, which is saying a lot. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, thus explaining the draconian trading restrictions your broker had placed on your account. Obviously, it was for your own protection and you might want to consider sending him some flowers.

#11     Mar 24, 2004
  2. ktm

ktm

Yeah, that's hilarious. "Changed a little since then"? You bet it has. I guess there's probably still a broker or two out there doing that, just as some people use tomorrow's paper on the front step for stock quotes. Like someone said earlier, it is a free country, and it's your money...at least it WAS your money.

#12     Mar 24, 2004
  3. SumJurk

SumJurk

I was probably trading options before you were born ass****.

It was just after the crash of 1987, and so many brokers got burned from that, you had to deposit $50,000 just to open an account. (if you planned on going naked.)

Things may have slacked off a little since then, but if I was a broker, and you deposited $50,000 and wanted to sell 125 puts, I'd say no way in hell.

#13     Mar 24, 2004
  4. Sad, then, that you are so utterly devoid of knowledge.

By the way, you might be interested to know we have horseless carriages now too. So put down the Viaga and take a little nap, okay gramps?

#14     Mar 24, 2004

5. Take your hand off your c*ck for a second... You now stipulate "after the crash" to make your argument, while you're still talking directly out of your ass.

The fact remains that many brokers use exch min margins which have been set at 20% for retail for ages.

$50k haircut for a 3lot, LOL.

riskarb

#15     Mar 24, 2004
  6. SumJurk

SumJurk

I'd rather be ignorant, than a knowledgable ass****

#16     Mar 24, 2004
  7. SumJurk

SumJurk

Well, I see there's more than one dumb*** lurking on the boards.

Because, if you take on 125 naked puts with $50,000 in your account, that's exactly what you are, a dumb***.

#17     Mar 24, 2004
  8. Why would a broker allow only 3 put contracts on a 20 strike to be written with $50k in the account,when that is enough to cover the purchase of 2500 shares(25 contracts)?If i was purchasing $50k worth of long stock,they wouldn't care;so why would they care if i want to write 25 contracts.They're not being exposed to any risk whatsoever on 25 contracts.

#18     Mar 24, 2004

9. Your handle is apt... you'd get some respect were you a newbie, but the fact that you've been trading options "since before you(HelloDollars) were born" speaks volumes of your lack of market-knowledge and intelligence.

Lurking? Look at the post count, you illiterate monkey.

riskarb

#19     Mar 24, 2004
  10. Do you have any idea that the person you are referring to treats $50k as a rounding error? Why do I have this nagging suspicion that the words "stupid" and "pennyless" will be featured prominently in paragraph 1 of your undoubtedly brief epitaph?

(By the way, since the obvious escapes you, that was rhetorical.)

#20     Mar 24, 2004