Selling Premiums On Stocks

Discussion in 'Options' started by tyrant, Nov 30, 2006.

1. gbos

gbos

Well I had a quick look at the dow (1900 – 2001) for 27854 daily data the output is

Vol 17.2%
    Skew -1.1
    Kurt 39.3

On top of that the index trends slightly so someone can expect a few surprises.

Unfortunately I don’t have right now reliable multi year data for dow jones stocks for comparison as I don't invest in US stocks.

#21     Nov 30, 2006
  2. The past few years has not been good for CC's. Good stocks getting called away all the time.

[​IMG]

#22     Nov 30, 2006
  3. Surely not !!!

#23     Nov 30, 2006
  4. Why not?

If the markets have been moving upwards, then CC sellers are making premium plus capital appreciation and they can keep re-entering long stock positions. Sideways or slightly bullish market is perfect for CC writers. Those funds let the stocks get called away and enter into new long/short call positions, pocketing 1 - 3% a month. Of course some losses are mixed in along the way.

Not for me but those who do CC strategies probably have been happy the past based on that chart.

#24     Nov 30, 2006
  5. hmmm , heated fat tails debate while Mav is busy with the Live Chat...
    Coincident ?
    :) :) :)

#25     Nov 30, 2006
  6. tyrant

tyrant

If one is prepared to hold stocks if exercised against, then arguments against stock options like less liquidity becomes less relevant, right? And as mentioned, if subsequent to being assigned the stock, one starts to write calls on it, would this kind of strategy likely to be quite profitable?

#26     Nov 30, 2006
  7. tyrant

tyrant

Do you trade stock options in US? If not, why not?

When you say that you trade regularly on half a dozen stocks that you concentrate on, do you mean buying/selling as in swing type of trading, or is it more towards selling premiums with defensive tactics. Do you regularly hold on to stocks if exercised against of do you mostly deal with options only?

#27     Nov 30, 2006
  8. tyrant

tyrant

Makes sense to a novice like me.

#28     Nov 30, 2006
  9. They would be re-entering their positions at a higher cost, even taking into account premiums received on lots of those CC's. No way would they be making 3% per month on CC's, and I doubt they could even squeeze out 1% per month.

#29     Nov 30, 2006
  10. tyrant

tyrant

Is it true to say that index options are chronically overvalued? Even at 10 % I.V?

Compare it tot the I.V of stocks regularly at 30-60% , aren't stock options better candidates for selling premiums compared to index options? I understand that their actual volatility is higher in individual stock due to lack of negative correlation as in indices, but one should be able to sell less contracts to reap the same reward and thus minimising the risk of black swan, which will hurt the premium sellers of index options more due to selling more contracts? Makes sense?

#30     Nov 30, 2006