Selling premium

Discussion in 'Options' started by NKNY, Oct 15, 2002.

1. To all.
    Would someone just post general rules to option writing, instead of fruitless ping-pong with words?
    Walter

#31     Nov 18, 2002
  2. dreamer

dreamer

I try to remain market neutral, but at times, it is hard not to have a bias, either in a particular symbol or in the market. I do follow current, intermediate and long term trends using simple moving averages and trendlines, both on symbols and the broad market indexes.

Sometimes I take a biased position and sometimes a neutral position, but I try to remain market neutral instead of trying to predict the direction of the market. However, having said that, my methods do not rely on my accuracy in predicting the direction of the market. If anything, it only sometimes enhances the results and sometimes it reduces the results. I believe the end result is a wash.

#32     Nov 18, 2002
  3. dreamer

dreamer

*Chuckles*

Sounds like you want something for nothing, Walther. Do your study and homework. The answers are out there. Think outside the box. I have not found the answers in any book though I have studied many.

#33     Nov 18, 2002
  4. Thanks for answering my question dreamer. When you go market neutral, which is appears you are shorting premium, what kind of set up are you using for the entry?

Are you legging in when you do attempt market bias?

Good trading.

#34     Nov 18, 2002
  5. You couldnot be more wrong. I am just interested in others people method and if asked specific question I will answer it. I am just puzzled what was a purpose of you posting here that you make 200% a year. Should not you expect that someone will ask about your method and how you have achieved such great return? So is there anything specific like how far till exp, and such you would like to share ?
    Walter

#35     Nov 18, 2002
  6. Dreamer -

Hopefully you didn't interpret my post to you as either acrimonious or inaccurate - since that wasn't my intent. I wanted to understand where you were coming from.

For me, definitionally, a real "hedge" always sets a maximum limit of risk. Tactics to partially mitigate risk by generating some additional premium may play into an overall trading strategy but aren't hedges because maximum risk is still effectively unlimited (ignoring for a moment the absolute truth that selling a naked put isn't really "unlimited" risk since the stock price can't go below zero).

I was simply interested in your assertion that a portfolio of naked options could be managed risk free. Because I've never come across any way of doing that. Diversification, selling premium on both sides, etc. can be used to reduce risk, but I can't see how they (or at least they alone) would make the situation risk free.

Any example you'd care to offer would be of interest.

Thanks.

#36     Nov 18, 2002
  7. dreamer

dreamer

Your post to me was not acrimonious or inaccurate and I apologize if my response gave that impression.

I also never said that my portfolio consisted of only "naked" options. I only stated that I initiate only naked option positions.

Anything that can mitigate your losses can be considered a hedge, whether paritial or total. In some cases, a hedge can even profit your position beyond protection.

#37     Nov 18, 2002
  8. That is the best thing I have read- so well said - at the end of the day if you aren't right....

But hey Where do we send the check lol

#38     Nov 18, 2002
  9. Mispe

Mispe

May be all that is a joke Dreamer
    and the answer is in your nickname ???

#39     Nov 18, 2002
  10. dreamer

dreamer

The best thing that can happen to a different idea is an audience of closed minds. Ignorance breeds ignorance.

Kind of like the old "earth is flat" idea.

#40     Nov 18, 2002