selling options on IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by z32000, Sep 25, 2007.

1. You CAN buy options on margin.

#11     Sep 27, 2007
  2. scurvy

scurvy

Naked puts are not any riskier than covered calls. They have the exact same profit profile (aside from lower commissions).

Also, there's nothing wrong with shorting calls if you're long an equal amount of stock (or calls at a higher strike).

It's when you're net short calls that you're exposed to potentially unlimited losses.

#12     Sep 27, 2007
  3. z32000

z32000

okay... I thought so, but I needed a confirm.

Yes I am a newbie and I appreciate the help.

So I take it....shorting call or put options are always carried out under a margin account..

and everything else is also under a margin account (futures and stock)? except for call options.

assuming I initially selected the margin account instead of cash account when originally creating my account.

#13     Sep 27, 2007
  4. You can confirm the status of your account by simply logging into the admin functions of IB's website. Open a new margin account at IB if you're in a cash account. Cash-transfers are instantaneous between IB accounts.

#14     Sep 27, 2007
  5. z32000

z32000

but wouldn't this pretty much get an account to go no where?
    ...or actually, come to think of it... since calls can go down to 0 at the least...this would be an ideal strategy if you thought the market was heading down...

can you please elaborate a bit more.

thanks
    I appreciate the help

#15     Sep 27, 2007
  6. An example:

CME ES options. Buy deep ITM calls or puts in which the premium exceeds the overnight margin requirement on futures. CME clearing will charge the lesser of the premium or ES overnight margin.

CME Oct 1200C at 329.00 = $16,450 in premium. CME clearing charges the overnight initial margin on futures, or approximately $4,000.

#16     Sep 27, 2007
  7. scurvy

scurvy

Other people have covered this topic before in a manner better than I can. I'd suggest picking up a good options book. The Laryy McMillan ones were good when I first started. The two strategies you just inquired about are short verticals and short naked calls. He goes over both of those.

#17     Sep 28, 2007
  8. Do you mean the trade going neg or your whole account? Please have a think before you do this style of trade you obviously have no idea about money management. At the end of the day you are responsible for your own trades. Relying on the broker to do your work when they have thousands of clients is foolish in the extreme

#18     Sep 28, 2007
  9. z32000

z32000

I'm in the learning process so I am not in the verge of throwing my money into something I have no idea of.

This is why I'm trying to clear things up. I've read many books and somettimes things can get overwhelming.

To answer your question, I am refering to the account going negative and I'm asking...wouldn't the margin call take care of liquidating your call or put options...

but it looks like a few members have answered this question...

so basically..

buying call and put options... (account can go to zero but not negative...no margin call protection)

selling call and put options... (account can go to negative but margin calls will try to prevent this from happening if I'm not mistaken.)

selling stocks (account can go to negative but margin calls will try to prevent this from happening if I'm not mistaken.)

buying stocks (account is also protected under margin calls)

buying and selling futures (account is also protected under margin calls)

buying future options (no margin calls protection?)

selling future options (margin call protection?)

if there are any mistakes, please feel free to correct them.

#19     Sep 28, 2007