Selling Naked

Discussion in 'Options' started by nugya, Sep 27, 2002.

1. nugya

nugya

I suppose we cannot really compare trading futures against selling PUTs naked as they have different risk/reward ratio:( :(

But from risk point of view only, they are more or less the same:) :)

OK ,it looks as that once again,we miss the topic of this tread;

IS there anybody out there who is making small but constant money selling Naked PUTS???

#31     Sep 29, 2002
  2. nugya

nugya

Nope I am too late:D :D :D :D

#32     Sep 29, 2002
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Nugya, I'm just going to take a wild guess here but you have never traded options before have you? Selling naked puts on 0ption expiration makes Las Vegas look like a candy store. You want to talk about giving up the vig to MMs. Have you ever seen the average spread on a OTM put on expiration friday? If you have and your telling me that you would rather give that MM your put in return for pennies and I mean pennies for a long play in the market then that is something else.

Selling a naked put and going long the underlying are not, I repeat not the same thing. They only have the same P&L profile at expiration. But before expiration they are not the same. In some cases not even remotely close to being the same.

Now as far as doing it on expiration Firday, the same holds true but for a different reason. If you go long the mini you are giving up hardly any edge, but by shorting the put, the MM is hosing you big time. If you draw a parity graph using the long mini and the short put you will see that when you incluse transaction costs and slippage, the two lines don't even resemble each other.

#33     Sep 29, 2002
  4. nugya

nugya

Sorry to disappoint you but I have been trading options for some time.Pls read my earlier posts.

I think you have misundersood me. I never said trade options on expiry day. I said Expiry play where you sell PUT during the life of option e.g 30 days before expiry and and do not buy it back

beside that I think we agree, thanks

#34     Sep 29, 2002
  5. nugya

nugya

Nope we dont agree on this as well;

1) selling naked PUT and going long the underlying does not have same P/L. Same L but not same P.

#35     Sep 29, 2002
  6. nugya

nugya

I only started selling Naked PUTs recently. In the past I always had a cover.That is the reason i started this tread, to see if there is anybody out there doing the same thing:)

#36     Sep 29, 2002
  7. Bob111

Bob111

something like this for example-you sell QQQ 19 puts for this month,
    @ expiration-price fell below strike(if it happends- VIX will be somewhere in 55-60)-this never happends before, but we pretend it will. after expiration you long on it-sell calls and sell more puts @ lower strike and so on....

#37     Sep 30, 2002
  8. Pabst

Pabst

I've always felt tradrmac that if you want to price an issue below the market, you'd might as well sell the put. At least you're getting paid for trying to buy stock on the cheap.

#38     Sep 30, 2002
  9. dreamer

dreamer

You need to think outside the box, Maverick. Much money is made selling naked options, calls as well as puts. I know, I do it for a living and make between 200% and 300% on my portfolio year after year. My portfolio is balanced and will survive anything.

Good luck trading to all,

Bob on whidbey Island

"Don't confuse efforts with results"

#39     Nov 16, 2002
  10. dreamer

dreamer

If you think outside the box and trade properly, there is no risk to writing naked puts.

Good luck trading to all,

Bob on Whidbey Island

"Don't confuse effort with results."

#40     Nov 16, 2002