Selling it's own invented trading system = always a scam?!

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by WmWaster, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Remiraz

Remiraz

Always a scam and never the real deal.

Just think about what you'll do if you get your hands on a profitable trading system:

1) Sell it to someone for $99. That someone will pass it around and all his friends/family will get rich trading YOUR system at YOUR expense.

2) Trade it yourself for a couple of years. Become a millionaire. Retire in Dubal surrounded by exotic beauties (or hunks :eek: ) and smoke pot all day.

If a person has a profitable system, what is the easiest way to make money? Why bother trying so hard to sell a system and expose himself to potential backlash so as to earn that couple of bucks when he could easily trade for it in the comfort of his home?

The most amazing thing in this business is that I have met large groups of grown men/women who would fight to defend the idea that there are genuine profitable commercial trading systems out there.

#21     Mar 19, 2006
  2. slacker

slacker

The decision matrix of buying a ‘black box’ system looks much the same for Pascal’s Wager:

If BlackBoxSystem vendor can deliver = unlimited wealth with fantastic change in life style
    If BlackBoxSystem vendor can deliver and you do not bet = misery (missed chance of a lifetime)
    If BlackBoxSystem vendor cannot deliver = status quo ($5000 loss, no change in life style, regret but less than the misery of missing the chance of a lifetime)
    If BlackBoxSystem vendor cannot deliver and you do not bet = status quo (no change in life style, no satisfaction, regret the plan did not work)

The key to vendor success seems to be to make the most outlandish claims of success in proportion to the cost of the system. In a population of sufficient size there will be people waiting to pay to see if you can deliver. Same as in Lotto ticket sales; the odds decrease as the size of the pot increases driving sales of tickets higher.

Always the BlackBoxSystem vendor cannot provide actual trading results. The most common explanation is, “Well I trade a lot of different positions in my account and I do not want to disclose everything I trade.” Someone selling a $3000 system cannot set up a separate account to trade and verify their trading results? Even Interactive Brokers has a ‘Friends and Family’ input option that allows you to trade combinations of accounts with just a mouseclick. If anyone wanted to provide a history of real trades it would cost nothing and be set up with very little effort.

Don’t expect a rush to provide results to any commercial system. It is not going to happen. Yes, all ‘systems’ are scams IMHO. Some systems may have worked in the past, but by the time they are sold they are in the ‘cash cow’ category. Once available for sale they have no more trading value and the only value left is to sell it on the web.

Good luck!

#22     Mar 19, 2006
  3. Ya'll just don't have the faith in your fellow man that ya'll should have.

Shame on you.

#23     Mar 19, 2006
  4. in this internet age, nothing to lose in selling a signal... other than simply pocketing money from gullible people and there are tons around, a good reason to sell a signal is to attempt to attract additional liquidity around certain points, so as to ensure that the signal generator him/herself can more safely front-run / enter & exit the market at a small pips profit and in increasing size, thanks to the additional liquidity so 'attracted' around those points... if luckily often enough momentum is created in the proposed direction, then the signal / signal service is even seen as 'valid' by the subscribing punters / believers, and ironically perpetuates itself... all old school marketing ponzi type stuff but why change something that works so well...

#24     Mar 24, 2006
  5. :(

From the sound of it, does it mean this plug-in is no longer here, and I have no other way to get this plug-in?

#25     Mar 24, 2006
  6. You made some good points!

However I don't believe a system will become "valid" simply by the subscribing punters / believers. You know, when the system first releases, there shouldn't be enough subscribers to create "such power" to make a garbage system work. Thus the system has to work well to predict the current trend pattern first. As time goes by, more subscribers will join due to various reasons (eg fame, word-of-mouth and so on). If it's large enough, it does add safety to the validity of the system.

However if it grows too large, it will be the doom day of this trading system.

To sum up, the added safety is attributed to the predictability of a system, rather than subscribers alone.

#26     Mar 24, 2006
  7. agree however you'd be surprised at how one can create not one but 1024+ signal services all with different names etc, with wide enough stops or no stops / TP targets at all since don't forget we are targeting fairly gullible people here, which there are legions of... the way it works with these signal 'services' is the so-called spaghetti technique... if you throw enough spaghettis against the wall, some of them will always manage to stick... all you need is a bit of a track record, knowing that simply tossing a coin your odds are already pretty much 50%... ...

maybe i'll just stop here, dont want to give anybody any bad ideas.... have a great week-end ;=)

#27     Mar 24, 2006
  8. now, 'jokes' aside, i think you're right. cheers!

#28     Mar 24, 2006
  9. Just assuming he is a scammer, isn't it true the refund policy means nothing then since the scammer will never refund you once you have paid :confused:

#29     Mar 24, 2006
  10. Look at it this way. There is a parallel between people entering the trading arena and the prospectors of old during the gold rush. At that time, there were valid suppliers such as those who sold the appropriate tools and other supplies that prospectors needed in their search for gold. These suppliers may or may not have been cynical about the whole thing, since they were not prospecting for gold themselves, but at least they were providing some value to the folks who had gold on their mind. However, if you were are a gold prospector and someone offered to sell you a map to a "secret" gold mine, then you were probably being scammed. You might as well have bought some magic beans and hoped for a giant beanstalk.

Rule of thumb: if it looks or feels like a "map" that will save you a lot of research and thinking, then chances are thou art being scammed.

#30     Mar 24, 2006