Selling covered calls - Margin required for no reason

Discussion in 'Options' started by CashProfits, Jul 25, 2009.

1. MTE

MTE

Actually, it's you who doesn't have a clue - http://www.federalreserve.gov/bankinforeg/reglisting.htm#T.

#31     Jul 29, 2009
  2. MTE

MTE

CashProfits,

You need a margin account to sell spreads, period. Your b*tching about won't change anything, so get over it. Besides, it's not like you are required to use leverage when trading in a margin account!

If you don't like Optionhouse go with another broker. Thinkorswim comes to mind, they don't have restrictions on the type of strategies customers can trade as long as you have...(you guessed it)...a margin account. :)

#32     Jul 29, 2009
  3. spindr0

spindr0

Now that's about as deep as your previous suggestion that the problem is due to trying to sell a call spread using options that are american style and that using euro style options is the answer.

LOLOL. Go read what Reg T is about.

#33     Jul 29, 2009
  4. spindr0

spindr0

Hmmm... what was the name of the children's book where the tiger takes his own tail in his mouth and runs in circles around and around the tree?

(scratching head)

#34     Jul 29, 2009
  5. Ok, I guess I meant what broker won't give me a hard time establishing a margin account? Is think or swim going to put me through a loop to establish margin? I'm not going to bother making accounts with 5 more brokers just to figure out who will cause an inconvenience and who will not.

If people are perceiving my repeat post's as b*tching, sorry. It's because I have to keep repeating my post because people are responding with answers that show how little of my post they are actually reading. For those with good solid replies, thanks. I don't use those faces on posts so if you get emotional over internet postings, sorry about that.

#35     Jul 29, 2009
  6. If you make the minimum deposit, IB will give you a margin account

Mark

#36     Jul 29, 2009
  7. erol

erol

i think i posted this earlier, but TOS [thinkorswim] will help you out.

Easy to open an account, you don't have to fund with an insane amount and the customer support is great.

you guys have it better in the US though, we don't have much choice, so this is gold.

#37     Jul 29, 2009
  8. are you not old enough to have a margin account?

#38     Jul 29, 2009
  9. erol

erol

i was thinking FICO score....

#39     Jul 29, 2009
  10. johnnyc

johnnyc

margin is required to trade American style spreads. this is covered in FINRA rule 2520

#40     Aug 6, 2009