Selling calls against Leaps

Discussion in 'Options' started by tex2244, Sep 16, 2004.

1. I agree that both strategies will have the same results over a long time period,but not month by month my statedly sharpe ratio(piece of mind for me)will be lesser also do weekly ratio's adjustments according to changes in XYZ , Gamma and Theta.If I will go with Calls(or Puts) only,I will lose the flexibility here,especially if XYZ's move in the first week after position taken am not trying to convince you here,I am just showing what works for me(so far).

#31     Aug 21, 2005
  2. Tenor has zero impact. The greeks are locked. There is an insignificant distro advantage to being long the put time spread over the call into cheap spot, and conversely, short the call time spread over an equivalent put. Whether you adjust the position isn't a matter of equivalence, but I get your point.

#32     Aug 21, 2005
  3. Thanks for reply,riskarb , your opinion means a lot(I actually joined this site after reading your posts for a week, very impressive).BTW,most of my adjustments done by selling additional/free calls of lower strike when price gone down(and puts when price goes up)

#33     Aug 21, 2005
  4. Thanks... I can see how it would improve the PnL variance. Good luck.

#34     Aug 21, 2005
  5. riskarb , what do you think about this strategy?

1.Enter long ATM combo for XYZ(preferably with high HV?IV ratio) ONLY
    at the last week of expiration when Gamma is very high.
    2.Adjust delta neutral position by selling puts or calls as needed.
    I understand , that mathematically I don't have any advantage here because Theta will neutralizing Gamma,but from my observations MM not always doing a good job of reducing combo's premium according to time decay(again , in the LAST week only).Sometimes there premium practically stays the same from Monday till Friday.
    Thanks

#35     Aug 22, 2005
  6. Gamma trading with wing sales? Selling atm or otm puts[calls] into a decline[rally]?

#36     Aug 22, 2005
  7. no , just Gamma play ( with aggressive delta adjustments) in "almost free" of Theta affect environment.
    ATM current month long straddle only.

#37     Aug 22, 2005
  8. Koppanyi

Koppanyi

Hi,

Calendar spreads are said to be better than covered calls, because with this technique we can obtain leverage since one covered call position may be substitued with more calendar spreads. I'd like to start with it soon but I don't know some technical details.
    Let's say my account have sufficient equity to establish such a calendar spread. I.e. my account has as much as amount of money that requires to buy one or two contracts of LEAP call options (short calls reduce this amount). If I exercised, will a short position be received by "rent" shares? Is the amount for buying the LEAP calls enough?

Thx

#38     Aug 22, 2005