Selling ATM Straddles

Discussion in 'Options' started by thejoker67, Apr 9, 2007.

1. spindr0

spindr0

No, thank you.
    It's not often that I get it right! :)

#21     Apr 9, 2007
  2. I'm surprised.

I would think prob favors the writer with expectancy being neutral.

#22     Apr 9, 2007
  3. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

While the OP asked about the probability, I do believe he was referring to the expected return which is theoritically the same.

Joe.

#23     Apr 9, 2007
  4. Correct.

#24     Apr 9, 2007
  5. Maybe I get it now.

Theoretically, yes selling the straddle will end up with more winners than losers. However, the total dollar value of the losing trades will be the same as the total dollar value of the profitable trades. Therefore, in the long run, theoretically, constantly selling straddles, with no adjustments, you will end up even. Is this correct?

#25     Apr 9, 2007
  6. nitro

nitro

http://www.isigmasystems.com/eva.html

nitro

#26     Apr 9, 2007
  7. Yes, assuming that the straddle buyer and seller are trading at fairval. The $expectancy is equal.

#27     Apr 9, 2007
  8. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

"Therefore, in the long run, theoretically, constantly selling straddles, with no adjustments, you will end up even."

Minus commissions and spreads.

Joe.

#28     Apr 9, 2007
  9. So why is selling a strangle better than selling a straddle? According to you, the strangle also has risk odds of 1 to inifinity.

#29     Apr 9, 2007
  10. asap

asap

it is not.

selling a strangle offers just a better prob of success because the BE points are placed beyond 1 standard deviation. so instead of 68% prob of success, you might get for instance 95% prob if wings are placed at 2 SD.

but the odds (expectancy) is the same, that is, zero-slippage-comms.

#30     Apr 9, 2007