Selling a system?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by robpaulson, Apr 8, 2003.

1. birdman

birdman

I enjoy developing websites as well as trading ...

You can do this ...

1. Hire a good web designer to build you a good site. You can select one at elance.com

(I can do it all for you if you want to pm me) I'll be glad to give you a quote. I ain't cheap and I'm busy, but I enjoy developing websites as much as trading ... sometimes more.

elance.com is freelancers ... you get one that knows what they are doing they can do it for a reasonable cost ... you never know til after it's complete if it will work right ... one tip ... the best I have ... no matter how good your company is ... your credit card processor company can make or break you. I won't name names here, don't go with popular cheap ... go with dependable. I almost gave up learning this one.

Have to have someone you can trust ... anybody that can do what you do trading can easily learn to build their own website and do all this theirself. That might be the way to go.

2. Consider hiring a copywriter ... depends on your ability and your point of view plus your marketing direction.

3. I own such a site though I never mention it here. I'm not looking for a free ride. If you advertise a bit at Overture and Google, you will get all the free sign ups you want.

Getting paid subscribers is another matter. You need good copy and design as much as good picks (in the short term)

Long term you need good picks in order to get testimonials and highly coveted, much sought after, seldom seen, word of mouth referals.

Long term is the only way to go.

You could have a forum such as this one for your clients to discuss your skills, timing and picks. Caution - there hundreds of empty forums with the identical function as this one (in other industries) and most of them have little activity. They can be hard to get rolling. A forum may not be the way to go, I wouldn't, but still it can be done.

At my site we sell a strategy and not picks. It's as easy to set up recuring billing as a one time fee. Truth is, if you look around the past 4 or 5 years, they have been a lot of pick services come and go. Most of the survivors and the success stories are the ones who stoped their picks and focused on financial news, education or some such.

Not saying you can't do well with picks ... it's just a tough act.

You can set up a mailing list where all subscribers are sent an email when you type in one copy ... send everyone your picks / comments at once.

Now don't miss this .... hosting of large list (I also own a hosting company) can get quite expensive. Here's how you can avoid large list (though some will say the large list is worth the additional cost - I disagree) You can have a single free username / password for your free accounts and change the password once a month or so.

The bulk of your sign ups will be on the free side. Every paying customer will have theri own username / password. Credit card payment only / money deposited in your bank account / no muss - no fuss.

:D

#11     Apr 15, 2003
  2. wookie

wookie

PM me with your backtesting results as well as real trades the system has produced (if any). I am always looking for a new system that works. If I like it I will lease it from you with an option to buy.

#12     Apr 16, 2003
  3. StrategyRunner

StrategyRunner Strategy Runner, Ltd.

Can this strategy be applied to futures?

We are interested in futures startegies developed by professionals and/or with proven track-record.

We work closely with traders and research groups to automate their systems.

The process is :
    1) we sign a NDA to protect your intellectual property,
    2) we evaluate the marketing potential of your strategy (whether it's suitable for retail clients/instituational clients) and costs,
    3) we translate/develop your strategy,
    4) we expose your strategy to our brokers (http://www.strun.com/Content/Partners.htm) market your strategy (http://www.strun.com/Content/TradingSystemProviders.htm).

Please send us e-mail to info@strategyrunner.com,

Regards,

Anna Becker, CEO
    Strategy Runner
    156 North Jefferson, Suite 301
    Chicago, IL 60661
    Tel: (312) 798-4425
    Fax: (586) 314 5050
    E-mail: anna@strategyrunner.com
    Web: www.strategyrunner.com

#13     Feb 4, 2004
  4. An interesting thing is happening here. I notice that when a person indicates that they have a profitable system, suddenly people appear "out of the woodwork" saying that they are interested AND they have a way of promoting the system to the public, through a broker-dealer or a private group. If you look at the number of posts, they are often fewer than 100. Hmmm.

#14     Feb 4, 2004
  5. pspr

pspr

"Holy Grail" and "Grass is Greener...." syndromes.

#15     Feb 4, 2004
  6. Bob111

Bob111

heh...i'm tired of making big money, just want to quit from this boring business))))))))
    sounds interesting and new to me)))

#16     Feb 4, 2004
  7. StrategyRunner

Give me a break!
    1. Read the title: "Selling a system?"
    2. Go visit our website http://www.strategyrunner.com.

Put two together and you will get why person like me would appear out the woodwork.

Instead of scaring away people that trying to help try something nice and constructive like: "I checked the links you posted and the way you market third-party systems looks very impressive. I suggest... ".

Have a nice evening :D

Anna

#17     Feb 4, 2004
  8. StrategyRunner

Give me a break!
    1. Read the title: "Selling a system?"
    2. Go visit our website http://www.strategyrunner.com.

Put two together and you will get why person like me would appear out the woodwork.

Instead of scaring away people that trying to help try something nice and constructive like: "I checked the links you posted and the way you market third-party systems looks very impressive. I suggest... ".

Have a nice evening, :)

Anna

:confused:

#18     Feb 4, 2004
  9. mind

mind

i think someone asked a question and he gets exactly the feedback he was looking for - well if this is not the function of an internet board, what is it then?

it is bob's decision what to do with whom.

#19     Feb 5, 2004
  10. mmillar

mmillar

If I were going to buy or sell a system then I would start with www.futurestruth.com. I wouldn't buy a system unless it had been independently verified by them (or someone similar - though I don't know of anyone similar). And as they test loads of systems and work with developers and probably brokers then they must have lots of contacts in the system selling industry. Try them.

#20     Feb 5, 2004