Sell Puts

Discussion in 'Options' started by maninjapan, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Sold Dec 80P on AAPL. Would be delighted to get assigned as it will be ~2x cash at that price. And there is zero chance of a margin call on assignment - homey don't play that.

#21     Nov 10, 2008
  2. mw_401

mw_401

Don't forget, if GE does not fall too far below 20 at expiration. You can just roll your short puts into a future month and get more premium.

A naked short put is similar to a covered call. So if you are put the stock, selling the 20 call would be like rolling the 20 puts.

#22     Nov 10, 2008
  3. GE is an interesting stock to trade. Just at 3:40 you have a 1.7 million share buy imbalance, stock breaks the line of scrimmage at the last few minutes and premiums collapses.

These were 17.5 put's

I wrote a bunch of 22 calls for this month but those premiums are only worth like 5 cents now :)

#23     Nov 10, 2008
  4. Talk about a put writers worst case scenario.

Missed out on that under 15 prices. lets see what happens by DEC.

#24     Nov 13, 2008
  5. drcha

drcha

That has been a good play of late. Perhaps will evaporate with the fall in vol.

#25     Dec 22, 2008
  6. bubba1

bubba1

First -- make a list of stocks you'd like to own if they got real cheap. Then put "silly stupid" GTC orders in. I managed to sell F10 HIG $5 puts for $2.50 that way. And F10 XOM $55 puts for over $12.

#26     Dec 22, 2008
  7. Many people are saying things like - "I wouldn't sell puts on anything, the market is too volatile" if that's the case you're only looking at 1/2 the picture. Even if the market is volatile, if the IV of the puts you sell is much higher that the stock's actual vol, you can still make money if you are careful and manage risk. If you don't believe put writing is a good strategy in this market, then when do you pursue this strategy? When vol is low? If so you aren't compensated as much for your puts and you have a better chance of vol rising to hurt you.

#27     Dec 28, 2008