Sell Everything Else and Buy Silver

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Fleming Snopes, Sep 12, 2011.

1. So.

One night.

I think it was last week while I was enthralled in the clouds of my cheeba. Ihad a moment of silence and extreme contemplation. Almost like I had just eaten a lot of poppy seed bagels (or muffins) and kinda wish I got high.

Anyway, I thought about silver. Then put the chart into my renko system and saw some amazing correlations with my ninja style of trading. Green boxes going up, empty boxes going laterally, the trend lines were all lines, it screamed at me to go long for the long haul.

Now, long haul is like load up a 30 ton load of fine mexi-cali greens, smugge that shizo across the border, drive to Canadia, unload it to the distro, then try and smoke a little product to calm down from the drive (stressful as trading corn holes on shrooms) and then taking time to sell it to all the customers (not children)

naw what I mean mang? Gotta just ride out the waves like Jonah did in the whale.

Anyway mangs, Im knee deep in this silver pile of love

#41     Sep 29, 2011
  2. jsp326

jsp326

Nothing like a meandering ET thread to bring out the weirdness.

#42     Sep 29, 2011
  3. Meandering? Maundering.

#43     Sep 29, 2011
  4. jsp326

jsp326

That too.

#44     Sep 29, 2011
  5. Candace

Candace

Thank you for sharing the idea of looking at relative value among commodities. I am a value girl at heart (some say contra trend trader). My daughters will get silver coins in their stockings at Christmas this year.

Not that anyone cares, but I am reducing some of my industrial, energy positions already (who knew they would shoot up that quickly?) and buying some miners.

#45     Oct 13, 2011
  6. One wonders what they will think of that. Perhaps their first lesson in learning to break themselves of the habit of thinking in terms of fiat. As children we instantly buy into the fiction that shiny coins and crinkly paper have intrinsic value, losing sight of the fact that we immediately exchange them for things that have true value to us as children. To me a Morgan dollar was just twenty Baby Ruths or ten cokes. That roughly three-quarters of an ounce of silver still buys about the same junk food. But children do grasp the concept of the relative value of commodities which we adults have lost. At lunchtime there was always a lively barter system going on exchanging what your mom put in your lunch bag for what my mom put in mine. Cafeteria programs put an end to that.

Re positions, despite my love for PMs, I am really a deflationist, so I have zero stock and bond positions. And except for ammunition I am not stocking up on much, with the exception of Everclear. As a commodity, it has the unique quality that you can drink it or burn it. In a way, pure alcohol is much like pure silver: divisible, durable, and has industrial uses. Right now there is an interesting equivalent: 1.75 liters of Everclear and one ounce of silver cost nearly the same in fiat. About the same as a box of 45 calibre cartridges or an pound of filet. So how should a drunkard hard money red meat gun nut spend his fiat given those pleasure equivalencies?

#46     Oct 14, 2011
  7. Candace

Candace

Both my daughters could tell you the difference between a fiat currency and a commodity currency and name at least five potential "stores of value" to boot.

Zero stock and bond positions? Where is your money?

Had to google Everclear. lol.

#47     Oct 15, 2011
  8. Well then, the poor dears are so smart they'll never get married.

Understand that the answer to your asset allocation question is relative to a trailer park life style. Taking total wealth to include "promises to pay," as a percent of my total unwealth:

"promises to pay": 24%

trailer park real estate: 15%

MMFs and SV funds: 49%

cash: 5%

PMs: 2%

vehicles: 2%

guns and ammo: 2%

potential garage sale proceeds: 1%.

A lot depends on the health of the market for Elvis memmorrabbillia.

All-in-all, just barely too much to qualify for food stamps.

#48     Oct 16, 2011
  9. Candace

Candace

Flem may have been early, but seems like Mr. Doaks’ call re: gold and silver appears to be spot on. Btw, I am often early myself. Could be a family trait, seeing as how we are vaguely related. My last name is Compson.

#49     Oct 25, 2011
  10. I would weep for Quentin's loss of Caddy, but my own bitter loss leaves me dry of sympathy.

Have you noticed that gurus who recommend buying on the way down garner only scorn? The commodimetric chart of copper is attached.

• jjc.jpg
      File size:
      94.4 KB
      Views:
    #50     Oct 25, 2011