Sell Everything Else and Buy Silver

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Fleming Snopes, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Crispy

Crispy

Had somebody held cash since the OPs "call" they would be up slighty in buying power of all things dollar denominated.

Had they held SLV they would be down 31%

What if somebody really had sold it all and bought SLV?

This thread and the OPs call is a joke. Is he gonna come out now and say "sell the rest of your belongings and average down"?

#31     Sep 29, 2011
  2. Crispy

Crispy

Of course. You didnt? :D

#32     Sep 29, 2011
  3. The thing is that gold is holding up better than silver, so I think silver is underpriced. But what do I know? Whenever I got a shiny silver Morgan dollar for my birthday I always spent it on silly shit. RC colas and moon pies. I'd guess that the average cost of my physical is under $20. So if you're right I'll still feel smart.

#33     Sep 29, 2011
  4. Well, it may be wrong, but it's not a joke. It is based solidly on analyses of detraces, non-moving overages, and value relative to a basket case of commodities.

#34     Sep 29, 2011
  5. Visaria

Visaria

Well....no, would be my answer. :D

#35     Sep 29, 2011
  6. The point of PMs is this: how much do you piss away in insurance every year? Three grand for your house? Two grand for cars? A few hundred for term life? A couple of grand for health coverage? Five percent of your take-home total? To hedge against really long loss odds? At least when you buy fiat collapse insurance you get to keep some of it.

#36     Sep 29, 2011
  7. jsp326

jsp326

Without more specifics (time horizon, profit targets, stops if applicable, whether to average down) both the original call and your criticism are pointless.

What if the OP told everyone to "buy silver now" in 2008 after it dropped from $20 to $15? It fell to about $9 before it rebounded and then more than tripled in three years. Would that be a good or bad call? Again, it depends on many factors

#37     Sep 29, 2011
  8. Crispy

Crispy

He didnt...he told everyone to buy it @ 39 and its now @ 29. As it stands here and now its a horrific call. One that requires a 34% gain to get back to even. Dead money for the next 10 bucks in upside...

#38     Sep 29, 2011
  9. You see the red sell signal at the left end of the bottom study at 4/27-28? That was spot on. So the buy signal is a bit soft. Do you buy on the way up or on the way down? Buying on the way down is like crossing a muddy stream. You have to find the bottom the hard way. I deriterate the buy silver call.

• slv.jpg
      File size:
      108.2 KB
      Views:
    #39     Sep 29, 2011
  10. jsp326

jsp326

The example I used had a signficantly larger drawdown. But it tripled in 3 years--and did even better if you cost averaged a few times.

Again, it's only "horrific" (or great) depending on the context of the call.

#40     Sep 29, 2011