self-sabotage

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by trade4succes, Dec 20, 2005.

1. I look for 4 signals to appear.........95% accuracy is low end........safe stops/low risk/high reward........all go together.....can anyone here tell me what a safe stop is? this will be disregarded by posters here because it is too elementary for experienced ........ I am the only one saying safe stops, most don't realize it is all about stop setting once you punch the buy sell button....your survival depends on stop setting skills as much as anything else..I am not referring to trailing stops................safe stops only second to entry skills.....close second...close as 9 is to 10........and I do mean right after........any suggestions please.........Porgie

#41     Dec 31, 2005
  2. We all lose control at some point or another. Its how much we lose control. And how long it takes to rein it back in that separates the seasoned income producers from the feeder fish.

When I say we all lose control I don't necessarily mean taking extraordinary risk, revenge trading or just churning the crap out of your account because your pissed off. Thats how a gambler losses control. I mean not taking a trade your system generates. Or not taking a profit/loss when your system fires a exit signal. Basically trying to out smart your proven strategy.

I struggle everyday with self sabotage and just like a recovering alcoholic I wake up every day and say "one day at a time". More specifically "one trade at a time". Sounds corny but it works. Focus on the trade your in and your rules. Thats all that exists. A previous trades profit or loss is history, and we all know you can turn back time.

That is one of my favorite things about this biz. Every day is a fresh start. At the end of the day while your reviewing your days activity you can repent your trading sins and the next morning your reborn.

After your trading awhile (and it depends on your skill level how long that awhile is). You either A- get sick of being a jackass and you tighten your game. B - you blow up and your down and out for the count. The choice is yours.

good luck in the new year!
    SWS Cap.

#42     Dec 31, 2005
  3. I know this is old... it also helps to keep perspective that it is only 1 out of maybe 600 trades for the year.

#43     Dec 31, 2005
  4. When u see t he safe stops the journey has ended........

#44     Dec 31, 2005
  5. psychological factors are unavoidable...........price and you .......remove u and u have removed the biggest problem.......mechanical 100% is my system.......but i am still crazy........

#45     Dec 31, 2005
  6. Safe stops = stops that are meant to be hit.

#46     Dec 31, 2005
  7. The pabst/illiquid exchange was very interesting and provocative.

Lots of other stuff was just typical of normal ET type trading problems and topics.

The trading deal is between the player and the market. since the beginnings of the environmental movement I have collected a lot of European wooden shoes from colleagues. I attached a machette to a legged log tomake them, even.

But self sabotage is another thing indeed. A little fear of success showing up, perhaps. Probably more like getting back at your partner, the market, for not sharing the job the way you want it shared.

Who does make the decisions on how and what market responsibilities are shared? The market is the one who splits the sheet. Any other version is straight sabotage.

There was even a dummy comment on how the market is competitive...LOL..... Meaning, of course, that the myth that traders compete is really in the picture.....

NOW is the only place the market is played. All sabotage takes place in the present. No steps. No relativity, except to the IMMEDIATE past and future in a symmetric balance.

Price change is the only way to make money. so you are in the market to make money and the only thing going on is NOW and you do9ing as you are told by the market.

If you do not, then you lose.

self-sabotage????? It simply is not doing what you are told and when you are told.

Suppose you become papst for a moment. He specifically has two jobs to do: be in the market and do what he is being told NOW. Imagine that he did the first job (he got in) then he was told to act. Getting to act is a four step process (monitor, analyze, decide and act). these four things he did as independent steps and he, by doing them was told to act. He intentionally did not act. he repeated four more times or so.

This isn't self sabotage; it is simply a knowledgeable person NOT ACTING when told to do so.

I better clarify. To make money you have to be in the market. To be in the market there are only two possible actions. This is an essential reasoning and understanding consideration that provides the rational basis for making money. The two actions are holding and reversing. They are not opposites as you see clearly and easily.

Imagine Pabst doing what he was told during his first sequence of monitoring, analysis, decision making and acting. He would have reversed. This would be keeping current in his partnership with the market. The next three times pabst was told by the market what to do, he would have "held", "held", "held".

The psychology stuff of the market is the emotional aspect of the sensing that people do monitoring. Emotions are sensorily induced and coupled. Since monitoring is the first of four separate steps people do, that is the only time emotions step into the picture for a moment. The next three steps do not involve emotions.

so what is the main force of self sabotage that is occurring with those who are posting in this thread. they are getting trapped in not carrying out the four sequential steps of monitoring, analysis, decision making and acting. They are doing a small loop and failing to complete the trader's work at hand. they can' analyze and compare observations against truths. They can't take analytical results and formulate decisions. They cna't take made decisions and turn them into timely actions.

They are generally frozen in a loop of observing and emoting and observing and emoting and observing and emoting. Observing is assembling facts, sufficient facts from a comprehensive observation platform or visual space. It is picking up those facts as a weighted group and going to another place and comparing them with the truths known for getting the job done.

This is not edge crap.

When a person has completed the comparison ,he is a far from observation as he can get and he is headed towards decision making. around the end of decision making he "knows" what the market told him. He definitely does not need to be told again and to get an emotional recharge. his emotional charge, in fact, has been pushed out of the way by now and he is in charge and has made a decision to either hold (most likely) or reverse.

Illegal chats about exiting too soon. Exiting is not part of making money. It is the end of making money. The thing about making money that is most significant is banking profits periodically and moving on. Banking a bunch of profits is done by reversing as the first half of reversing and then the second half is starting to make money again.

Taking profits too early is what is known as "recess" in lower sachool. You get in there and work a while and then you get out and go to recess. When is recess over. Well, most likely when you decide to go back to work. Here in ET stops are automatic recess programs. Set a stop and when the sbotaging of making money gets too bad, you get an automatic recess.

Want more recess, go mechanical. how many mechanical prgrams take people into markets?... how many take people out of markets.

Now we can deal with sabotage. self sabotage is a request for recess it turns out. It is the end of fighting what the market is telling you.

Here is a major clue. All sabotage occurs when a person is very tired of not knowing what he is doing. His system gets him to "recess" on the sidelines.

Not knowing what you are doing has a nice face called "losing control" which is simply a myth of the market anyway.

The deal is this. You are a partner with the market and it tells you what to do. you are always going through the sequence of four steps which are the group of steps in a specific order that tell you personally what the market is telling everyone at the same time. you are not competing with anyone or anything whatsoever. you are just taking good direction in the context of the truths of the market.

There is no kidding going on from the market to you.

You do what you are told. If you get in an emotional loop you have abrigated your continuing responsibility to do what you know to be the truthful thing for NOW. NOW is where money is made and it is the only place where money is made.

Sabotage is just "taking a recess" to go out and play with the other children.

Saboteurs were very important amateurs in wars. They threw wooden shoes in machinery. I put the EIS into legislation apparently unknow to the military industrial business complex to give power to the people. so five of us got to be called the green mafia as a consequence by Justice Douglas.

You guys are just going to recess early.

#47     Dec 31, 2005