self-sabotage

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by trade4succes, Dec 20, 2005.

1. My own self-sabotage manifests itself as an addiction to pressure.

It's very hard for me to focus on anything unless I'm staring down the barrell of a gun. This has been both a help and a hinderance in terms of my trading.

I've only been trading full-time for 3 years. And only profitably the last year. I'm 25-years old.

My sole strategy is to trade retracements. This is largely because no strategies, to me, provided the sense of immediacy (?) required for me to focus. I would often get sloppy until I was facing a huge deficit for the day and only then would I scour the market hard enough to make a comeback - often in 1 or 2 solid trades.

This is also a constant in my life. My best performance in the workplace was always on interviews - I've never been unemployed longer than 1 week (and I live in NYC) - but the fact is that I was unemployed = pressure. But, once hired, I was a complete slackass and have always had utter cotempt for my co-workers (though I think this is healthy for one who desires to be self-employed).

In my personal relationships, I tend to treat people propely either in order to get them to know me or to stop them from not wanting to know me any longer. I tend to neglect them unless I'm at either extreme.

This is someting I've struggled with my entire life and I've reconciled the fact that it's who I am and that the only way to make it manageable is to devise strategies that play to its favor.

#31     Dec 30, 2005
  2. Cheese

Cheese

FaderTrader you know you can be what you want .. or just be as sloppy as f**k and let whatever gets squeezed out of the top of the toothpaste tube as being you.

But the truth is we are all 'faders'. Who does not buy without the intent of selling higher or does not sell without the intent of buying lower?
    And fundamentally why? Because trend is so small in all of this (eg DOW) for the repeat profit-taker. Gyrations rule supremely just as homo sapiens rule over the lesser animal world.
    :)

#32     Dec 30, 2005
  3. This is the most pathetic poster in the history of ET. Unbelievable. That good and still here crying for attention.
    Some joke , right..

#33     Dec 30, 2005
  4. Agreed Walther. Successful people don't stomp thier feet that hard.

#34     Dec 30, 2005
  5. Successful people
    depending on how aggressive their personalities
    will stamp on any levels .

You must think everybody acts like warren buffet all meek and shit maybe because he was meek all through his life.

Then you have larry ellison who will piss in you face if you are not up to level maybe because he was always like that all through his life.

Although the older people gets, they become less aggressive.

Assholes always stay assholes no matter how rich they become. They aren't going to change in fact its only going to enhance their original personalities.

The bad thing is, you can't deny success :D

#35     Dec 30, 2005
  6. Unfortunately for you, Steve is correct.

#36     Dec 30, 2005
  7. Folks, this kid has been trading all of 2 months. All it will take is one of those flushouts like we saw 3-4 times last year to end this kid's joyride.

If you want some insight into how a fool's mind works, just scan the chat logs. It is a cornucopia of idiocy and naivete.

#37     Dec 30, 2005
  8. Actually I've been trading for only 3 days..
    Lets get the facts straight first of all

ok groupie?

#38     Dec 30, 2005
  9. coolweb's fancy charts. he calls them "chili peppers" check out the jalapeno-doji

#39     Dec 30, 2005
  10. Any trader that says "He doesn't have to deal with self sabotage" is a LIAR plain and simple.

We all hate to be WRONG and trading is a matter of intellect and intelligence.

One trader loses to another trader because he has more knowledge and skill .... it's a competition.

I struggle daily with overtrading and over sizing some positions.

I wish I had an EASY answer but I think this is just a part of the business and it must be treated seriously EVERY day, by EVERY trader and some will just be better at it then others, end of story.

Being half Italian and half Irish and prone to being more emotional then most men, doesn't exactly help me either :D

#40     Dec 30, 2005