Self Defense Firearms And Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AAAintheBeltway, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

How about using a good old fashioned pillow or 2L plastic bottle? It they are good for maffiosos, they should be good enough for the home defender. Not to mention making big noise can be good for the situation. Whenever I am burglaring a house, when I hear a shot upstairs I run away...

#11     Mar 27, 2013
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. donnap

donnap

Yeah, I've fired several different 9MMs and some were louder than others.

The little Beretta was smooth and quiet. But that was outdoors with earplugs.

Good topic.

#12     Mar 27, 2013
  3. Magna

Magna Administrator

The best solution I've ever seen was the use of a .45 ACP carbine with a suppressor (along with tritium night-sights and a laser). Being .45 it was subsonic rounds and his mag held 30. He paid the $200 tax and the cost of the suppressor but as a result he had no need for ear protection and full hearing for situational awareness. Plus of course 30 rds of firepower, a potent caliber, and ability to work effectively in the dark or low light.

#13     Mar 27, 2013
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Nonsense, although I know why you think so. The lame stream media all but never reports law abiding gun owners successfully using a firearm to protect themselves. If they did it would undermine their agenda of convincing the sheeple that all guns = bad.

Guns prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year or 6,849 every day
    source Targeting Guns
    , Dr. Gary Kleck, Criminologist, Florida State University, Aldine, 1997

No, you know why? On the application they ask if you've ever threatened to shoot someone. Naturally I checked the "No" box.

So much for those stupid useless ineffective background checks huh.

#14     Mar 27, 2013
  5. Gun owners aren't all alike. I live in the country and pretty much everyone has a rifle and shotgun. No AK-47s, no AR-15s (at least not many).

Where I live owning a few useful firearms seems prudent and no one makes a big deal about it.

#15     Mar 27, 2013
  6. So you lied, ok. If we don't hear from you for a few years we'll know you got caught for federal fraud. Good luck, I guess???

#16     Mar 27, 2013
  7. mlawson71

mlawson71

Isn't hearing loss temporary when the loud noise that caused it is incidental and doesn't happen all the time?

#17     May 24, 2021
  8. destriero

destriero

lucrum was such a moron. Nowhere on the 4473 does it ask if you've ever threatened to shoot someone.

#18     May 24, 2021
  9. destriero

destriero

NFA is running 4-5 months on tax stamps.

20210524_120232.jpg

#19     May 24, 2021
  10. Besski

Besski

Like many other people, I didn't think much about my hearing protection when shooting. When I started experiencing tinnitus, I addressed an audiologist who told me that I need to wear earplugs, otherwise it might lead to hearing loss. Also, I know people who don't want to wear hearing aids. They say that they would rather die. And I don't understand why. First, there is a wide choice of hearing aid supplies online, and it is possible to choose even those that are completely invisible. Second, it is better to hear (or am I wrong?). I want to say that it is better to learn from the experience of others. Be careful and take care of your hearing.

#20     May 25, 2021