Self Defense Firearms And Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AAAintheBeltway, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Hearing protection is an often over-looked safety issue. Everyone has their ear protection on at the range. Not too many people think about it in connection with actually having to use a gun to defend their homes however.

I heard someone say on Guns and Ammo TV the other night that if you ever fire a centerfire rifle inside a closed room, you won't do it a second time. The segment was focused on suppressors for home defense use. It's a great idea but suppressors require a$200 tax stamp as i recall in addition to the hefty cost. I don't see many people rushing out to get them.

My question is, what is the biggest caliber you can safely shoot indoors without ear protection. Is it realistic to put on acoustic-canceling headphones in an emergency?

2. If I had to exchange hearing loss for saving my life I'd consider it worth it.

Anyway, home-made suppressors are easy and cheap to make. Just keep yer yap shut about it.

3. None. They are all too loud to safely shoot indoors without risking hearing loss, or in most cases you'll just get tinnitus. Something from which I suffer. Constant ringing in my right ear. Wear hearing protection. Of course it's unlikey anyone will use hearing protection in a self defense situation, but for just target practice, inside or out, wear the muffs.
    For home defense you should follow this advice. Keep your revolvers loaded with the lowest pressure rounds that you can find commercially. Big bore, but low pressure. It seems reasonable to me that a 44 Special at 15.5kpsi or 45 Colt at 14kpsi would be less damaging than a 9mm at 30+kpsi or even 45ACP at 21kpsi.
    One thing to remember. Being left nearly deaf after the first shot puts you in a less than advantageous position, unless you've killed a sole invader with the first shot. If there are multiple invaders, hearing what the heck happens after the first shot may save your life.

SHOTGUN NOISE DATA (DECIBEL AVERAGES)

.410 Bore 28" barrel 150dB
    26" barrel 150.25dB
    18 " barrel 156.30dB
    20 Gauge 28" barrel 152.50dB
    22" barrel 154.75dB
    12 Gauge 28" barrel 151.50dB
    26" barrel 156.10dB
    18 " barrel 161.50dB

CENTERFIRE RIFLE DATA

.223, 55GR. Commercial load 18 " barrel 155.5dB
    .243 in 22" barrel 155.9dB
    .30-30 in 20" barrel 156.0dB
    7mm Magnum in 20" barrel 157.5dB
    .308 in 24" barrel 156.2dB
    .30-06 in 24" barrel 158.5dB
    .30-06 in 18 " barrel 163.2dB
    .375 18" barrel with muzzle brake 170 dB

CENTERFIRE PISTOL DATA

.25 ACP 155.0 dB
    .32 LONG 152.4 dB
    .32 ACP 153.5 dB
    .380 157.7 dB
    9mm 159.8 dB
    .38 S&W 153.5 dB
    .38 Spl 156.3 dB
    .357 Magnum 164.3 dB
    .41 Magnum 163.2 dB
    .44 Spl 155.9 dB
    .45 ACP 157.0 dB
    .45 COLT 154.7 dB

4. Very interesting table. I am surprised they are all so similar. I have shot a 5.56 a lot with foam ear plugs and it didn't seem loud at all.

Seems like the prudent thing to do is either pay for a surpressor or get a very good pair of noise cancelling headphones. The kind that let you hear ordinary sounds. Then at least you can count on deafening an intruder even if you don't hit him.

People are way too cavalier about this subject. Unfortunately, it's too late to reverse the damage when you learn the lesson.

5. Soldiers don't use any hearing protection in live combat and home defense is no different. You're fighting for your life. You want maximum situational awareness without messing around.

I have tinitus right now and it's slightly annoying but not as bad as being dead. (I suspect I got the tinitus from a Plasmatics concert in a club in DC years ago).

6. Respectfully, fighting in combat and self defense in your home are not at all the same, other than you are fighting for your life. "Maximum situational awareness", which I agree is paramount to your survival if there are multiple intruders, is unlikely for the untrained individual in their home. I doubt that many have actually been in a true life threatening situation, let alone killed someone.

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

[​IMG]

I believe I read somewhere that 20,000 - 25,000 a year are sold here in the states.

I'm awaiting on BATF approval for one I'm fabricating myself, mostly on a lathe.

8. This is kinda like planning on how to spend the lotto money. The odds of having to shoot someone in your house is remote.

9. Does your posting on here about wanting to shoot to kill Mexicans as they cross the border hurt your chances for approval?

10. fhl

fhl

You can make suppressors on the cheap out of oil filters. They work well, too. Still owe the tax, if you want to pay it.

There are lots of vids out there showing you how to do it.

#10     Mar 27, 2013